I Don't Bl**dy believe it - The saga continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Bl**dy believe it - The saga continues

Well after the new head, exhaust manifold and piston, engine was running really well, however it overheated yesterday.

Did a pressure test and guess what - combustion gasses in the coolant, system pressurised to 22 PSI before I gave up. Thought it was an airlock first but after 2 hours of trying to clear it I did the pressure test.

Looks like the head gasket may be faulty or incorrectly seated so I guess it's off with the head again. At least the pressure buildup wasn't as dramatic as when the head cracked, took about 3 minutes to pressurise so I am assuming a slow leak on the gasket - hope so anyway, hope it isn't the block.

Your not having a lot of luck at the moment Andy

Pull the duvet over again it might go away.....

Hope you sort it out soon you missed a nice day yesterday
    Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Think I will go back to bad.

Still I'll be really quick at doing these soon. I am really hoping it ain't the block.

Glad you had a good day out on the lanes.

Cheers

Comment

thats bad luck Andy, if this was the triathlon you'd be getting the gold shortly

Comment

If this was a Triathlon I think I would be swimming on the Bike by now.

Hopefully this time I'll get it sorted OK. 3rd time lucky hopefully.

Cheers

Comment

Ever Thought About Changing Your Handle ? Maybe It's Cursed !
            !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

Comment

IT'S BACK.

New Headgasket, stretch bolts, thermostat and rad cap. All running well no pressure in the coolant.

When I dismantled it I saw that when I put the new head on I can't have got it lined up correctly, just slightly out. I could see the water tracks across the head gasket. Also 4 of the head bolts were loose (and I know I torqued them all up) and I could undo them with just a socket set without a long bar.

Lesson learned. When you change the head or gasket make really sure that it is lined up correctly. Check, double check then check again.

Phewwwww at least it's back on the road. Only took 6 hours total to change the gasket this time (2 hours to dismantle, 4 hours to refit including cleaning everything).

Cheers

Comment

Gave it a good test drive today, all OK now, temp gauge stayed put just under half way, mixed driving, motorway, town, hills etc.

Seems I got it right this time.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                  IT'S BACK.

New Headgasket, stretch bolts, thermostat and rad cap. All running well no pressure in the coolant.

When I dismantled it I saw that when I put the new head on I can't have got it lined up correctly, just slightly out. I could see the water tracks across the head gasket. Also 4 of the head bolts were loose (and I know I torqued them all up) and I could undo them with just a socket set without a long bar.

Lesson learned. When you change the head or gasket make really sure that it is lined up correctly. Check, double check then check again.

Phewwwww at least it's back on the road. Only took 6 hours total to change the gasket this time (2 hours to dismantle, 4 hours to refit including cleaning everything).

Cheers
                  Hey you should start doing this as a living, as you would never be out of work!

Comment

Well done Lucky. I would have thrown my tools in the river before now and got a garage to do it. Top marks for persistance. Now sell it quick!!
                    It's only a hobby!

Comment

I don't bl**dy believe it AGAIN

Well got the engine running beautifully now and just knocked out drivers side rear wheel bearing. 2 new ones on order from Roughtrax.

It will be on the market soon as I pick up my new Landcruiser on Wednesday (i'll post some pictures when I get it home).

Just a few cosmetic things on the surf before I sell it though - get the tailgate resprayed for one and a good clean out.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X