Water Pump gone????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump gone????

What are the symptoms of your water pump not working? I've had a couple of problems with over heating recently, and can't seem to find the cause.

So far:-

The cooling system has been flushed, topped up and burped.
    Heaters blow cold for a few minutes, then hot when moving.
    Heaters blow slightly colder when stationary.

I found a thread that said you should be able to feel the water surging through the top hose. Is this the best way to test if hte pump is still working?

Any help would be great, as I need to get the red beastie back on the road pronto!!
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Generally water pump problems for any car are coolant loss through the mechanical seal, bearing noise or excessive movement of the pump shaft, or drive belt failure. The pumps tend to carry on working unless the belt fails. Its very rare for a pump's impeller to fall off or to actually wear or corrode. Most likely problems with any car are thermostat failure (and these fail mostly in the open or failsafe condition) drivebelt failure, airlocking of the coolant system, sludge build up in the engine block or radiator. Or head gasket or head failure.
    Check temp gauge, if unusually cool could be thermostat failed open, confirm by feeling top and bottom radiator hoses to see if both are coolish.
    If temp gauge is around normal or hotter, check top and bottom radiator hoses, if bottom hose hot and top cool indicates thermostat failed closed. If top hose hot and bottom cool, gently remove rad cap (to first click to relieve pressure, remember to wear gloves, when the pressure is relieved remove the cap) look at the flow of water through the rad cap housing. Blip the throttle to look for gas bubbles as the engine is revved, if you see this it indicates head gasket failure. Check for oil in the water or water in the oil, can look like dirty cottage cheese, and for excessive water or steam from the exhaust. Coolant system pressure check can show up any external leaks, or possible head gasket failure or rad cap problems, but may not show up a failed cylinder head. Remember this is not surf specific information, but general automotive information, best of luck.
    [SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]I can fix it...it won't be cheap.........or pretty![/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out in the morning. Still not convinced though I have all the air out.

Once I've fixed the temperature gauge sender unit, I'll know more specifically if I still have a problem.

Hopefully, it's just an air-lock....
      I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Working...
      X