Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting problems

Hi all,
    Just recently I'm having problems starting my 2.4d surf in the mornings. It either takes ages or does not start at all. The engine turns but doesn't start.Then eventually stops even turning. I suspect it could be the battery(s). But before I buy 2 batteries (not sure if i need to replace both or just one) could it be the glow plugs which need replacing instead. Once started in the morning, it starts fine all day until the next morning.

If anyone can advise I would be grateful.

Thanks
    ickyxxx

Have your Batteries tested at Halfords Then you will know.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by ickyxxx
      Hi all,
      Just recently I'm having problems starting my 2.4d surf in the mornings. It either takes ages or does not start at all. The engine turns but doesn't start.Then eventually stops even turning. I suspect it could be the battery(s). But before I buy 2 batteries (not sure if i need to replace both or just one) could it be the glow plugs which need replacing instead. Once started in the morning, it starts fine all day until the next morning.

If anyone can advise I would be grateful.

Thanks
      ickyxxx
      sounds like the battery(s) aren't holding their charge. Get them both load tested then you'll know if they are u/s. as for which one runs the starter, I am unsure
      NO WORRIES!
      Rusty

Comment

Mine are connected in parallel

ie doubled up for extra power

Sounds very much like bad batteries, I presume that all the levels are good?
        Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

hi ickyxxx
          had exact problem ,had both batterys checked no apparant promlems so went the route of changing allternator as this was the only fault that could be found (this bit was all covered by my warranty) a week later same problem started , two new batterys later (which were not covered) starts like a dream .moral of the story is ,dont waste time a money unless its someones elses, mines a 95 3.0lt ssrx and thay were the originals dated 95

Comment

thanks guys,
            I checked the cells in the batterys and the were all below the recommended level so i've topped them up to see if it makes any difference. Otherwise its Halfords for a battery load check and two new batteries. I think they are the original japanese batteries.

Comment

i also had the symptoms you described, not starting to the point of flattening the batteries, two new batteries later and the difference is unbelievable (diesels need a fast compression to heat the fuel mix in the cylinders hot enough to explode. i.e. the engine has to turn over fast enough to generate enough heat to allow decent starting, along with a little help from the glowplugs.)
              Last edited by stara; 19 December 2004, 20:49.
              [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

I think once one element of the starting system is performing at 100% you're gonna get a result i.e. new batteries will start your motor.

That said my battery is a real puny 270 CCA battery that I pulled out of an abandoned '90 Sprinter a year ago (at the time it had a higher voltage reading than my surfs old battery and that was when it had been sitting for a few days).

Now, I know my battery is too weak for its task yet when I turn the key on a real cold morning then engine will make half a turn then pause for a split second before roaring into life. So if an ageing weakling battery can start the surf on its first turn then maybe the surfs which turn over for an age (like a trooper) might have a different issue needing looking at.

Comment

Working...
                X