Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting question

Hi,

I've had my K reg Surf for 2 weeks now (actually, its more like 5 days, as it had to go back to the garage for a while after its turbo blew up!)

Before the turbo comitted suicide it started OK, but when I got it back it really struggled, I called the garage owner and he sent a guy out who spent an hour whistling under the hood, then told me something had touched bare metal and blew the fuse to the heaters, he fixed it all up and got on his way.

Now, it starts a lot better, but its still taking about five goes before it fires up. Once its going its fine.

Am I being nieve expecting an older car to start up first time, or is there a problem here?

Normally they start pretty quick, if its been serviced and runs OK, first suspects are the glowplugs, one or two may be blown..
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      Normally they start pretty quick, if its been serviced and runs OK, first suspects are the glowplugs, one or two may be blown..
      also check fuses again?
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

hilux 3L problem starting

hi guys, I too am having troubles now with my 3L, rough starting at -5 to -10 when it normally would start fine at -20 (i'm in Canada). I checked the glow plugs and they seem fine - where is this glow plug fuse that people talk about, and is there anyhting else I can check.
        Also does anyone know what AC delco glow plug to use
        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rene
          hi guys, I too am having troubles now with my 3L, rough starting at -5 to -10 when it normally would start fine at -20 (i'm in Canada). I checked the glow plugs and they seem fine - where is this glow plug fuse that people talk about, and is there anyhting else I can check.
          Also does anyone know what AC delco glow plug to use
          thanks

Glow plug fuse is 80A and drivers side under the bonnet in the black box fuse/relay holder.
          It may be a case you glow plugs are just tired or one or two have given up, I would check fuse then replace the glow plugs. Although mine started fine I changed them for peace of mind and what a difference it made.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Working...
          X