No announcement yet.

Head Gone thinkin of gettin rid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SURFS have had a 3.0 engine for over 10 years the 2.4 engine stopped at around late 1993
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun
      my truck has cost over two grand to get sorted after head trouble.did you notice how many people say "fix the head and carry on surfing"-what a load of crap.yes its a pretty girl but the 2.4td engine is rubbish most people on this site have had expensive major problems.my addvice is to get the engine sorted then flog it. get yourself an amazon 4.2td,£4500 to £5000 for 91-93 plates for the same running costs you get a proven engine that is still being put in amazons 14 years later. how long before toyota put the 3.0 in surfs? i really like my surf but i am paranoid about it going wrong after such drastic engine surgey.mines for sale after crimbo if your interested.
      Hi l dont know where you get the figures from but running a 4.2T/D Landcruiser is far more exspensive than a 2.4 Surf, l know l have had my Landcruiser for just over 7years now and countless Surfs. Plus have you seen any of these £4,500 to £5,000 Landcruisers, mostly "H" plates and over 150,000miles on them.
      PLEASE dont pull the MIGHTY SURF apart every vehicle has its bad points if a Surf head problem is caught and soughted out very early on the other problems would not arise. lts cocking them up to run abit longer or running knowing you have a problem that makes things worse.
      l have found most of the Surfs that blow heads in the 1st 3months have already been cocked up in Japan.
      Attached Files
      Live Life To The Full

Comment

my truck has cost over two grand to get sorted after head trouble.did you notice how many people say "fix the head and carry on surfing"-what a load of crap.yes its a pretty girl but the 2.4td engine is rubbish most people on this site have had expensive major problems.my addvice is to get the engine sorted then flog it. get yourself an amazon 4.2td,£4500 to £5000 for 91-93 plates for the same running costs you get a proven engine that is still being put in amazons 14 years later. how long before toyota put the 3.0 in surfs? i really like my surf but i am paranoid about it going wrong after such drastic engine surgey.mines for sale after crimbo if your interested.
        you do seem a little upset with the surf, i'm sure you wouldn't normally be so rude, if you do want to sell her on here, then it's probably best to alter your sales pitch first. (you'd need to spend £6500-£7000 for a half decent early amazon) £4500-£5000 is like saying you'd get a 2nd gen for £1500-£2000
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

2.4 is based on the same engine as in the Hilux pick up (apart from the turbo) and as we all know Top Gear proved they were c**p didn't they.
          To say most on here (3229) have had expensive major problems is a very poor statement. A high percentage on here own the 3.0 and I don't see them being so bitter about them. Check out the poll, of those voted only 18% have had troubles with the head.
          To say there isn't a problem would be untrue, it appears there is an underlying problem on some but not 'most'. Hell my head went on mine, replaced the head and over a year later its still going strong, as have many others on here.
          So i guess you will need this site from now on then http://www.landcruiser-rocks.co.uk/index.php
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Don't be bitter me old m8.
            I have had my Surf over 3 years the head has just been replaced
            but she has never missed a beat till then,don't forget my truck
            is nearly 14 yrs old you have got to expect thing to go.
            No disrespect but if you buy a car of this age with no service
            history,most from Japan know that they keep there cars so they
            skimp on the servicing been stood about in auction houses and
            then on dock sides its a forsight of thing to go wrong.

I like the look of my truck bar changing it for an intercooler
            3rd gen in black with all the whistles and bells she will stay.

All I would surgest to anyone is to get a proffetional survey
            on the car first inc. preasure testing of the water system
            but even then thing can go with time.
            Merry Christmas. Rant over
            GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

calm down monkeys.first i am NOT pulling down the surf. its the 2.4td engine i don't like. i was told by an "expert" on this site that the cyl heads on the 91-93 2lte surfs were altered to the previous ones which made them weaker.second do you honestly believe everything you watch on top gear?third. amazons are not much more thirsty than a surf insurance is about the same and service parts are also very similar. 150,000 isn't high mileage on such a machine as they are well capable of doing +300.000,how many worn out 4.2 landcruisers have you seen. i do agree that they were patched up in japan.
              my surf is running beutifully but am i counting the days untill another large bill comes my way?

Comment

forthly, you are a ****. do you practice acting this way or were you born like it, it is NOT nice to call people monkeys. We are all aware what an amazon is, if we want one, we'll go the the amazon forum. the web address to this site might give you a clue as to why we are here, in fact, i'll make a bit easier for you, this is a surf forum for surfs, we have surfs, we like surfs, we help surf-ers, we give out advice on the surf (remember your squeaky belt post when you needed advice). BE NICE.
                Last edited by stara; 24 December 2004, 00:04.
                [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

calm down monkeys.first i am NOT pulling down the surf. its the 2.4td engine i don't like. i was told by an "expert" on this site that the cyl heads on the 91-93 2lte surfs were altered to the previous ones which made them weaker.second do you honestly believe everything you watch on top gear?third. amazons are not much more thirsty than a surf insurance is about the same and service parts are also very similar. 150,000 isn't high mileage on such a machine as they are well capable of doing +300.000,how many worn out 4.2 landcruisers have you seen. i do agree that they were patched up in japan.
                  my surf is running beutifully but am i counting the days untill another large bill comes my way?
                  Actually it's not just 2LTE engines that have the bad heads, also some 2LT engines. However it is still a smallish percentage considering the age of the cars. A lot of Ford engines would have totally imploded after 10 years use so it's not so bad as it seems.

That being said I'm getting me an LC as soon as I get a new job. Mind you that's not cos I don't like the Surf, it's because I want an 80 Series LC. The running costs are dependant on how you drive it. The LC will actually do better Fuel economy on a run up to 28 to 30 on a run even on the Auto however the economy around town is attrocious. Most of my mileage is on the motorway though so it works out well for me.

Personally I love the Surf, have since I got it even after 2 new heads (second one was my fault as I ran it with a loud tappet rattle that I should have investigated, valve broke and trashed head and one of the pistons). It's now running like a dream though. If I didn't have the opportunity to get an LC I'd keep the Surf till it fell apart 20 years down the road.

The 2.4 engine was an occasional black spot on an otherwise bomb proof car, spend the money, get a new head and you got yourself a truck you can rely on.

Cheers

Comment

how long before toyota put the 3.0 in surfs? .
                    Monkeys indeed we are but at least 99% of us know the 3.0 has been in the surf since for ten + years.

You printed some strong views on the Surf/engine and incorrect facts like the 3.0 & most on here have had big bills. It was obvious it was going to attract some response from other members. There is nothing wrong with people expressing their views and others replying to them, but the use of name calling puts everyone on the wrong foot and it starts to get personal.

Any more defamatory remarks against others will be removed and action taken, I thank you.
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

"Off with its Head!"

After only 2 months of ownership,I too have joined the long list of the dreaded saga of the 2.4,changed the coolent 5 weeks ago on a 50/50 mix,took my time to ensure no airlocks,and low and behold a week gone sunday travelling my 7miles to work,after about 4/5 miles of normal temp the !!!!!! thing boiled up!
                      It now in the hands of Stevo after travelling from Newcastle(The Toon!) to Stockport(on a car transporter),where Im sure Stevo's doing a great Job!(I do hope his previous statement about after replacing the head the motor will last a few years

Comment

Working...
                      X