• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gone thinkin of gettin rid

Ok enough is enough I have had my surf for 6months
    first I have to have a gearbox fitted ended up costing me £2K
    Now the heads gone

1993 ssrx 2.4td , indash Dvd Mp3 Player,
    New Battery,4 New Continental Tyres with a blown head whats it worth?

Drives great until the head went

cyl head

Originally posted by alaned
    Ok enough is enough I have had my surf for 6months
    first I have to have a gearbox fitted ended up costing me £2K
    Now the heads gone

1993 ssrx 2.4td , indash Dvd Mp3 Player,
    New Battery,4 New Continental Tyres with a blown head whats it worth?

Drives great until the head went

Alan, having a new cyl head fitted should put your car right for years, considering the amount of money you have already spent it would be a shame to let it go. Give me a call on 0161 476 6144 for any advice or info on fitting a new head.
    Cheers Steve.

Comment

Why sell it???? if you do the head surely nothing else can go wrong where as if you buy another car you get just get a load more trouble. It doesnt have to cost megabucks to do the head, mine was all done for under £700.
      If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
      I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

look at it this way, your car is prob worth £1000-£2000 as a non runner that's if you can find a buyer. it'll cost £700-£800 to get a NEW head, what sort of motor would you buy to replace the surf for around 2k, i would def replace the head and keep it. Get the head done & you'll soon fall in love with the surf all over again.
        [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by stara
          look at it this way, your car is prob worth £1000-£2000 as a non runner that's if you can find a buyer. it'll cost £700-£800 to get a NEW head, what sort of motor would you buy to replace the surf for around 2k, i would def replace the head and keep it. Get the head done & you'll soon fall in love with the surf all over again.
          Add the 2k already spent on the box, you can't afford TO sell it, its like throwing money away, do the head and go have some fun in it.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

also sounds like you got poor advice on the gearbox.

keep the surf its a fate-al attraction

Comment

Dont't sell!!

Quite a few of us have been there. I had a new rad then a new head. Total repairs so far £1,700.00.

Like Tony said, take away what you've spent out already on it, and you're not going to make your money if you sell.

Get the head fixed, around £1,300.00 tops if someone else supplies and fits it, and bobs your uncle.

Once the regulare maintenance scheduals kick in to play, things get easier.

There's always pleanty of help on here, and usually someone local who can help if she does go kapput again.

Stick with it, and you'll be surf grinning again soon!
              I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

I agree, dont sell it. Definately give Stevo a ring, he sorted mine for me and he is excellent. Truck is like a new motor now. Hang in there.
                Andy (the girly)
                What YOU want something THAT big for???!!!!!

Comment

Hi mate

If you do decide to sell, how much do you want for it??
                  [IMG][URL=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a167/s

Comment

I'd have lost at least £4000 if id have sold mine when the head went, Which i would'nt have done .
                    New head is the way to go.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Just had mine replaced also the rad.
                      £500 as it stood.£3500 when all the work was done?
                      Going to keep her now as at least the worst is done .
                      Or should I not say that yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
                      The curse of the 2:4 td lives on
                      Chris
                      GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

I take it you bought privately, or did the gearbox go belly up in months 4-6 of ownership, as I understood a 3 month warranty on dealership motors is the law?

And sympathies with the motor. Stick with it.

Comment

Thank you for all your input and advice

When i put this thread up my head had blown as well as the surfs and cooled down abit now,

I have decided to take the head off over xmas and get it sorted

thanks steve for your number and i will ring you once i have started cos i'm sure i will need more then morral support,

Once again like when my gearbox packed up www.hiluxsurf.co.uk got me on the road again.

So merry xmas to every one and expect more posts from me when i have forgotten how to put the head back together again

Thanks again Alan

Comment

Have Faith Brother, get it fixed and learn to smile again !

Comment

get rid asap

my truck has cost over two grand to get sorted after head trouble.did you notice how many people say "fix the head and carry on surfing"-what a load of crap.yes its a pretty girl but the 2.4td engine is rubbish most people on this site have had expensive major problems.my addvice is to get the engine sorted then flog it. get yourself an amazon 4.2td,£4500 to £5000 for 91-93 plates for the same running costs you get a proven engine that is still being put in amazons 14 years later. how long before toyota put the 3.0 in surfs? i really like my surf but i am paranoid about it going wrong after such drastic engine surgey.mines for sale after crimbo if your interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X