X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Questions (1 Surf, 1 Corolla)

Hi All,

Surf Question:

After scumbags attempted to break into my Surf last week , the driver's door key barrel is missing (probably inside the door?). I can get a new barrel and key from Toyota for about €50 and I'm told it's an easy <A TITLE="Click for more information about job" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||job|AA1VD w">job</A> to fit. Can anyone comment?

Corolla question (I know, I know - but I'm hardly going to join a Corolla forum, am I? ):

The handbrake light in the dash has been coming on intermittently (random) for the last week. I can't be 100% sure on this (because I swap between driving the Surf and the Corolla, and the difference between the two may be a factor in my perception), but it does feel like the Corolla has some sort of drag going on, and it has been guzzling petrol recently. When I lift off the accellerator, the car slows down quite considerably, and I don't remember it having particularly strong engine braking - smooth engine and all that.

Is the handbrake sticking?
    How would I check?
    I think it's a cable operating the rear drums?
    Will ignoring it till after Xmas (when I'll have more free cash than I do now) lead to my death ?

Thanks,

Mark
    :

Not sure about the Surf problem but the Corolla problem sounds like a seized cable or rear brake shoe. It "might" last till Xmas but also might burn out the brake drum and cause a much more expensive repair. I'd stick to driving the Surf until you can sort the Corolla; more fun anyway!!
    Mike G

Comment

Try feeling the rear wheels see if they are warm (or even hot) this would indicate sticking brake shoes/ cable as well

Chris
      Regards
      Chris

Comment

If you find which side of the Corolla is sticking on (if it is that, feel if wheel is warm or not) it may be a sticking cable. if so you can pull it slack with you hand by locating it behind the wheel and giving it a haul. when free you can drive it all you like, but don`t use the handbrake in that time.

Comment

the handbrake light comin on in ur corrolla intermittently(spelt wrong),check your brake fluid level

Comment

As above but also check your Brake light bulbs. As for is it safe No you could loose your brakes due to the fluid boiling and cost yourself a lot of money with worn drums etc

Comment

Topped up brake fluid last night - problem gone this morning - thanks all.

Goodjazz - what's the relevance of the brake light bulb? As it happens, right side brake bulb is out....

Do Dave Brubeck's Take 5 and Blue Rondo A La Turk qualify ass good jazz?

Mark
              :

Comment

Working...
              X