No Heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Heating

I think I may have a blocked heating matrix. Does anyone have any tips for sorting this kind of problem out, without going to the trouble of removing the dash and taking the matrix out? I've located the water pipes on the front side of the bulkhead and both inlet and outlet seem to be fairly warm when the engine is running, the control valve is also moving freely. The only other thing I've noticed is that the water in the resevoir is very dirty, but doesn't seem to be leaking away at all.

You could have an airlock. Remove the filler cap with the engine cold. Run up to full temp, with the heater controls full open and squeeze the hoses. Top up as necessary. If the water in the expansion bottle looks sludgy then I would do a full flush of the cooling system.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by 101916
      I think I may have a blocked heating matrix. Does anyone have any tips for sorting this kind of problem out, without going to the trouble of removing the dash and taking the matrix out? I've located the water pipes on the front side of the bulkhead and both inlet and outlet seem to be fairly warm when the engine is running, the control valve is also moving freely. The only other thing I've noticed is that the water in the resevoir is very dirty, but doesn't seem to be leaking away at all.
      Check its not the water pump that's gone
      Will need sorting ASAP if thats the case. One on my 2.4 went, first sign was no heat from matrix after 10 minutes idling, then when setting off the temp shot up and dropped as thermostat opened (pump wasn't working too well at idling). Check radiator and block after a run, is it v.hot at top and cold at bottom? Either a block somewhere or pump stopped working. Bottom line is I now think my crock water pump has overheated the block and caused the head to crack!!!! Nuts!!
      You should also feel the water circulating through the top rad hose when the engine is warm and idling...squeeze it and feel a resistance/surge when releasing.

I think (and someone may want to confim this) that you can flush system through matrix from bottom hose to top with domestic hosepipe, just disconnect inlet/outlet hoses. Obviously you'll have to refill after flushing.

Dirty coloured water in expansion tank may only be original Toyota Red Antifreeze....starts off life Red and discolours with age.. Note reservoir is only there for overflow of expanded water in block/radiator. Level may rise under normal operation as pressure cap allows small amounts past and lets it back in again when cooling.
      ------------------------------------
      Look out! Ee

Comment

Working...
      X