Help help help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help help help

Temp through the roof and sounds like a kettle boiling!
    Rad cap / thermostat were changed in Sept
    Serviced in Sept
    Whats wrong? Please help.
    Getting married in 3wks so we are very poor at the mo.

Can anyone suggest what we can do? Where to take it? How much will it cost.

Thanks tons
    Sarah

You do not indicate what vehilcle you have but if it's a 2.4 then you probably have suffered from the dreaded cracked head syndrome. If so, sorry but quite expensive to put right if you can't do it yourself (e.g. figures of around £2K quoted by some on here to put it right). Otherwise have you checked to make sure your heater hoses aren't full of air instead of coolant. Use the search facility to find plenty of threads on this topic.
    Mike G

Comment

figures of around £2K quoted by some on here to put it right

New cylinder head & gasket set for a 2.4 is £550 + Vat from www.milneroffroad.com. Plus another £200 for stretch bolts and odds and ends and a couple of days labour if you are lucky. Check the obvious first - split hoses - thermostat stuck closed - choked radiator but sadly the head is more than usually likely to be the culprit.

Cheers - in a sympathetic way

Kev

Don't let it spoil the wedding
      Last edited by exmee46; 25 November 2004, 00:11.

Comment

Just wrote this reply to a similare prob, which might give you some guidance.

Many things could cause the overheat. Try the rad cap test for starters, quite a good indication.

Try washing the rad, mud in the fins greatly reduces the cooling ability.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9848

If it is the head, I got mine done for £1,275.00 by a mechanic in Aldershot.

Good luck!
        I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

cooling problems?

Originally posted by Big Jonah
          Just wrote this reply to a similare prob, which might give you some guidance.

Many things could cause the overheat. Try the rad cap test for starters, quite a good indication.

Try washing the rad, mud in the fins greatly reduces the cooling ability.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9848

If it is the head, I got mine done for £1,275.00 by a mechanic in Aldershot.

Good luck!
          I had loads of probs with mine,first check rad cap for any slight wear,replace if needed,next check in car heating is working if not you have air locks in the system and need to burp the system,this is very easy,get a 2litre squash bottle and cut bottom off ,next get some hose almost twice as thick as garden hose so it just squeezes into rad cap hole and into squash bottle top ,ok?
          with bonnet,hood open,hang bottle upside down from bottet,hood "U" clip then join bottle to rad cap hole with just enough hose "just enough" then fill with water until system cannot take any more,Now run the engine and keep filling,the engine should run up to mid guage temp and no further ,keep filling ,more bubbles will rise ,keep filling,keep filling,approx 9.2 litres theese systems take ,two fat tubes down right side of rad ,sqeeze air out of them "can be hot",engine of ,more bubbles ,fill bottle engine on ,sqeeze fat tubes ,took me three hours to "burp"my system but no probs after,HOPE THIS HELPS.

Comment

Originally posted by seddon6
            I had loads of probs with mine,first check rad cap for any slight wear,replace if needed,next check in car heating is working if not you have air locks in the system and need to burp the system,this is very easy,get a 2litre squash bottle and cut bottom off ,next get some hose almost twice as thick as garden hose so it just squeezes into rad cap hole and into squash bottle top ,ok?
            with bonnet,hood open,hang bottle upside down from bottet,hood "U" clip then join bottle to rad cap hole with just enough hose "just enough" then fill with water until system cannot take any more,Now run the engine and keep filling,the engine should run up to mid guage temp and no further ,keep filling ,more bubbles will rise ,keep filling,keep filling,approx 9.2 litres theese systems take ,two fat tubes down right side of rad ,sqeeze air out of them "can be hot",engine of ,more bubbles ,fill bottle engine on ,sqeeze fat tubes ,took me three hours to "burp"my system but no probs after,HOPE THIS HELPS.

And have your heater on hot..

Comment

Working...
            X