• Show
Clear All

Year of Surf :1996
    Engine size:3.0
    Engine ref.:
    Total mileage on the vehicle:87000

Main type of veg used: WVO or Bio

Single tank?

Other modifications you have had done to the fuel system and approximate cost? HEAT EXCHANGER

Mixture

Summer
    Veg %100 LAST YEAR, BIO THIS YEAR
    Diesel %
    Petrol %
    Any other additives (please list) %

Winter
    Veg %90 LAST YEAR,GOING TO TRY BIO ALL WINTER
    Diesel %
    Petrol %10

How long you have been using veg for?:2YEARS about 18months in the Surf

Approximate mileage done on diesel:72000

Approximate mileage done on veg/mix:15000

Is the engine still running fine? Yes

Any problems so far experienced that you think are due to veg usage (any approximate costs would be good here as well as any fixes)
    Replaced fuel pump could be down to running high veg content all winter or could have been going anyway ? £120.00 TO REPLACE

If you are using your own collected waste veg, how do you prepare it for use?
    Leave to settle as long as poss then filter to 5 micron and into car.

I reckon the Truck has now paid for itself in fuel cost savings ?

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
      Hello all
      As there are a number of members on here who have used veg for some time I thought it would be good to have some real data of the means we are all going about it to give those considering it a bit more info so they can makes their own minds up about coming to the slippery side.

This hasn’t been covered in one place before and I will stick a link on the main vegetable oil sticky when we have some entries.

Please quote the below and fill in your info on the form. Cheers!

If I have missed anything obvious then please do point it out and I’ll amend

Year of Surf :1994
      Engine size:3lt
      Engine ref.:kzn130
      Total mileage on the vehicle:120000km

Main type of veg used: SVO (Straight vegetable oil –i.e. bought from the shop) or WVO (waste vegetable oil) wvo

Single or twin tank? single
      (i.e. do you put it all in the main fuel tank or have you had a second tank fitted to allow you to use diesel to start and then switch over to veg

Other modifications you have had done to the fuel system and approximate cost?elsbert conversion £600

Mixture/s you use

Summer
      Veg %100
      Diesel %
      Petrol %

Winter
      Veg %100
      Diesel %
      Petrol %
      a tank of diesel now and then for a treat!

How long you have been using veg for?:2 years

Approximate mileage done on diesel:80000

Approximate mileage done on veg/mix:40000

Is the engine still running fine? Yes/ No yes

Any problems so far experienced that you think are due to veg usage (any approximate costs would be good here as well as any fixes)
      Fuel pump seals shat themselves within 2 weeks! £350 to recondition and replace seals (veg proof cant remember name of material)

collect used oil leave to settle for as long as poss cold fillter top layer of good oil (until sediment starts to appear) through 200m bucket filter,100m,75m,then 25m bag-10mbag then pumped through 10m and 1micron finial filter is a water block type.Then car

Any other notes/ tips etc.
      Getting hold of used oil is getting harder!

Comment

Year of Surf : 1993
        Engine size:3 litre
        Engine ref.:KZN
        Total mileage on the vehicle: 96,000 km

Main type of veg used: SVO (Straight vegetable oil –i.e. bought from the shop) or WVO (waste vegetable oil)
        SVO and Biodiesel

Single or twin tank?
        (i.e. do you put it all in the main fuel tank or have you had a second tank fitted to allow you to use diesel to start and then switch over to veg
        Single

Other modifications you have had done to the fuel system and approximate cost?
        None

Mixture/s you use

Summer
        Veg % 50
        Diesel % 50
        Petrol %
        Any other additives (please list) % None

Winter
        Veg % 50
        Diesel % 50
        Petrol %
        Any other additives (please list) % None

How long you have been using veg for?: 3 years

Approximate mileage done on diesel: 90,000 km

Approximate mileage done on veg/mix: 6,000 km

Is the engine still running fine? Yes/ No YUP !

No problems to date. Starting is slower than on pure diesel (approx 2 secs to fire compared to almost instantaneous) but there is no discernable difference between biodiesel and veg oil. No waxing issues, but then it rarely gets cold enough for that problem here...

Use either commercial biodiesel available from two suppliers on island, or SVO straight from local wholesalers in 20 litre drums.

Vehicle is not being run constantly on veg mix - on average its probably only 30% of the time at present, depending on availability of biodiesel and veg oil at wholesalers. Get the right oil and it smells like you're driving round in a constant bar-b-q ;- downside is you feel hungry all the time.

Comment

Year of Surf :1990 + 1995
          Engine size: 2.4 + 3 litre
          Engine ref.: Ln 130 + KZN130
          Total mileage on the vehicle: 130,000 +144000Km approx

Main type of veg used:
          SVO (Straight vegetable oil –i.e. bought from the shop)
          WVO Waste vegetable oil – Pure Nut Oil from a chippy (see updated post)

Single or twin tank?
          Single Tank

None

Mixture/s you use

Summer
          Veg 80% -100% SVO
          Diesel 20%-0%
          Petrol 0%
          Any other additives (please list)
          A litre of ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) in the tank after every 4 tankfulls

Winter
          Veg 75% SVO
          Diesel 20%
          Petrol 5%
          A litre of ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) in the tank after every 4 tankfulls

How long you have been using veg for?: 3+ years x 2 Trucks

Approximate mileage done on diesel: 100,000 Km x 2

Approximate mileage done on veg/mix: 60,000 Km x 2

NONE to date

After collection filtered through a pillow case into a 45 gallon holding drum then triple filtered, twice through hand wipe tissue + once through coffee filter and straight in the tank

For detailed discussions and a database of other vehicles see www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk

Pics of my set to follow....

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n ya won't know when !!!!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 7 October 2009, 14:54.
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Year of Surf : '93
            Engine size: 2.4l
            Engine ref.: LN130
            Total mileage on the vehicle: 184738km

Main type of veg used: SVO (KTC veg oil - 69p/litre)

Single or twin tank? Single

Other modifications you have had done to the fuel system and approximate cost? Nil

Mixture/s you use:

Summer
            Veg 90-100%

Winter
            Veg 0-25%
            Diesel 75-100%

Any other additives (please list): Diesel Redex every now and then.

How long you have been using veg for? 2-3 years

Approximate mileage done on diesel: 105000km (the guy I bought the Surf off only used diesel)

Approximate mileage done on veg/mix: 80000km

1 - Leaking veg oil from underneath when parked. This was last autumn, when it suddenly turned cold. I assumed the extra viscosity had caused a seal on the fuel pump to pop out. I filled up with 100% diesel and the seal poppped back in. No cost.

2 - Significant loss of power #1. This happened about a month after I started using veg oil and was expected. I changed the fuel and oil filters and power was restored. This was due to the crap in the fuel tank being suspended in the veg oil and dumped in the fuel filter, reducing flow. Cost - £10 for a set of filters from Milners.

3 - Significant loss of power #2. This happened last week, when it first turned a bit chilly. I started the car, drove to the motorway (1.5 miles), and booted it on the slip road. Revs increased (as usual) but when I expected the car to change gear, the red warning light came on and the turbo shut down. On slowing the car down, the red light went off and the turbo came back on. This happened twice, after which I accelerated in old-lady-style for the rest of the journey. I thought about what had happened and came to the following conclusion: outside temp had dropped considerably, so the fuel was more viscous. As the car had not warmed for more than the few minutes it took me to get to the motorway, although the engine was at full operating temperature, the fuel in the tank (80-90% veg oil or so) almost certainly was not. I reckon the injectors had a bit of trouble with the thick fuel so the engine management system shut things down to prevent damage. I stuck £13 of diesel in at the next garage I saw, and this seemed to rectify the problem; leastways, it hasn't occurred since, and I've been careful to keep the veg oil down to about 50%.

4 - Minor loss of power. This is only really noticeable on hills and is due to rapeseed oil making less of a bang than diesel.

Comment

Total mileage on the vehicles: 130,000 +144000Km approx

Main type of veg used:
              WVO Waste vegetable oil – Pure Nut Oil from a chippy (29/08/09)

Single or twin tank?
              Single Tank

None

Mixture/s you use

Summer (Updated 07/09/09)
              Veg 100%
              Diesel 0%-0%
              Petrol 0%

Winter (Updated 07/09/09)
              Veg 100%
              Diesel 0%
              Petrol 0%

How long you have been using veg for?: 3 years x 2 Trucks

NONE to date

After collection filtered through a pillow case into a 45 gallon holding drum then triple filtered, twice through hand wipe tissue + once through coffee filter and straight in the tank

For detailed discussions and a database of other vehicles see www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk

Pics of my setup to follow....

Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                Total mileage on the vehicles: 130,000 +144000Km approx

Main type of veg used:
                WVO Waste vegetable oil – Pure Nut Oil from a chippy (29/08/09)

Single or twin tank?
                Single Tank

None

Mixture/s you use

Summer (Updated 07/09/09)
                Veg 100%
                Diesel 0%-0%
                Petrol 0%

Winter (Updated 07/09/09)
                Veg 100%
                Diesel 0%
                Petrol 0%

How long you have been using veg for?: 3 years x 2 Trucks

NONE to date

Pics of my setup to follow....

Jess, do you find the ATF a better additive than anything else or is it the only one you've tried? (curious)

Alan
                www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Hi Alan, ATF isn't the only thing I've tried, also tried using Injector cleaner but find that's exactly what it does clean ..... where as Atf cleans n lubricates...

Speaking to Dixie T yesterday he was telling me of Millers ???? something or other he uses with his SVO. (sounds similar sort of additive that I use on me Harley in winter)
                  When I find out exactly what it is I'm gonna it a try n I'll report back ....

There's always a Payback .... Don't know where n ya never know when tho !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                    Hi Alan, ATF isn't the only thing I've tried, also tried using Injector cleaner but find that's exactly what it does clean ..... where as Atf cleans n lubricates...

Speaking to Dixie T yesterday he was telling me of Millers ???? something or other he uses with his SVO. (sounds similar sort of additive that I use on me Harley in winter)
                    When I find out exactly what it is I'm gonna it a try n I'll report back ....

Was it this Jess?
                    http://www.millersoils.net/M3_cgi/mi...ype=automotive

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      That's the one Vince, Cheers Buddy

Buncefield Burner

Comment

Cheers guys, maybe i'll start putting something in with mine now then!!

Alan
                        www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MadcapMagician View Post

3 - Significant loss of power #2. This happened last week, when it first turned a bit chilly. I started the car, drove to the motorway (1.5 miles), and booted it on the slip road. Revs increased (as usual) but when I expected the car to change gear, the red warning light came on and the turbo shut down. On slowing the car down, the red light went off and the turbo came back on. This happened twice, after which I accelerated in old-lady-style for the rest of the journey. I thought about what had happened and came to the following conclusion: outside temp had dropped considerably, so the fuel was more viscous. As the car had not warmed for more than the few minutes it took me to get to the motorway, although the engine was at full operating temperature, the fuel in the tank (80-90% veg oil or so) almost certainly was not. I reckon the injectors had a bit of trouble with the thick fuel so the engine management system shut things down to prevent damage. I stuck £13 of diesel in at the next garage I saw, and this seemed to rectify the problem; leastways, it hasn't occurred since, and I've been careful to keep the veg oil down to about 50%.
                          The turbo can't shut down, it is driven by the exhaust gasses.

Comment

OK with Diwali just about finishing I have noticed that a lot of places (Specially Asian) Wholesalers (one of my friends showed me Falcon in Leicester) are selling Sunflower Oil cheaper than Diesel at the pump.

I bought over the weekend 30Lts for £22.

I am now running around with 25 Lts of BioDiesel from Morrison’s and 20 Lts of Sunflower oil and its running like a dream no problems at all. This is my second attempt at something like this and my truck seems not to be having any problems at all.

may thanks for the advice chaps it puts your mind at rest when you have so many helpful people telling you everything will be OK.
                            Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

veg oil.

Year of Surf :1991 ssrltd
                              Engine size:2.4d
                              Engine ref.:ln130
                              Total mileage on the vehicle:110.000m

I work as a chef in sw scotland, last year when prices went through the roof i started taking the old oil home to see if i could get it clean enough to use as fuel, first i asked a company that made it for the trade, they told me that depending on the vehicle it could be used anywhere from neat to a mix of 20%oil/80%fuel.They where not prepared to tell me much more.
                              They also charged 5p more than diesel was anyway.(but its greener they said.)

Anyway, one day the fuel went up to beyond £1.80 per gal so i decide to bite the bullet and tried it.
                              I let the oil settle for a few days, try not to move the tub the old oil is stored in, lift it out with a jug or something, the first filter i tried was a normal funnel with a metal gauze in the bottom, just not good enough, plenty of debris was visable.
                              Then i tried a pare of womens tights with very good results, although i did this three times just to be sure. This was the first batch i used and had no real problems, i used a 50/50 mix, it just seemed a bit lumpy starting on the cold mornings, so i changed to 40% oil/ 60% diesel and it started and ran as normal. i have been told to use a thinner eg: petrol or an octane booster at a 5% ratio of the entire mix, i have not tried this yet as i have no problems with the mix and i like to keep it simple.

Since this i have used musslin as the filter, (we use it to strain sauces) you can get from any fabric shop at about £2 per meter, this gives the best result but takes alot longer so set up you aparatus pour in the oil and go for a cup of tea.

Things to note..

• I have been told this can not be used on anything after 1998.
                              • This is a VERY MESSY process.
                              • buy law you can make and use 10.000 ltrs per year tax free.(woohoo)
                              • Check or change fuel fillter more often.

Hope this helps, there will be thing i have not remembered so i will try to post again when i get some time.

cheers all, OZ.

P.S the price of cooking oil has doubled since people started doing this, end of 2007 price was £10 for 20 ltr now its about £23 per 20ltr.
                              Last edited by ozman; 3 November 2009, 11:36.

Comment

Latest Update ..
                                Purchased some Millers Oil (See Bushwhackers's link) five weeks ago now n apart from adding some of this to each 20 litre filtered I'm still running 100% Veg (Pea nut oil) a 6.6p per litre
                                Good Luck

There's always a Payback .. Ya don't know where n ya never know when tho !!
                                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                                X