Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new to me 94 KZN130

Hello from sunny Brisbane, Australia.

Previously had a beautiful red 89 LN130 manual with a red interior and all. Was a narrow body, but it was in excellent (except faded pant on the bonnet and roof) condition. Didnt meet my needs at the time and very regretfully sold it.

Keen to get back into it all I spent months waiting on the right Surf for me, I came across one about 2-3 hours drive from where I live and bought it at a steal.

A few issues with it running but I think I have solved it. More details soon.

It's green, the bonnet isnt original and there are a few things to fix on it but my main goal right now is getting it driving reliably and registerable.
    Brand new 31x10.5" tyres for it, just need fitting to the original rims, a basic service and engine mounts on the table right now.

So, I bought the car with a running issue. The engine is mint, doesnt rattle or make any strange noises. It appears to run very well but was every now and then cutting out and sputter, when it did this there was a clicking relay noise under the dash in the kick panel. Trying to diag this was a pain because the car would only do this sometimes and the relay noise was hard to hear. When I had a screwdriver on a relay it would run sweet, when I looked in the engine bay it would sputter for a split second, but still remain running. Very rarely would it cut the fuel. I started pulling relays to try figure it out and the only one that seemed to have made a difference was pulling the ECD relay. Trying to find information about this was difficult as either old forums had been taken offline or not maintained and other details went on other tangents.

Something I noticed constantly was posts saying just check your ECU, if you are having problems or not just check it. So I pulled out the ECU, familiar with issues from a lot of Toyota ECU's from the 90's and early 2000's (I also own a 89 Toyota Celsior and 2005 RAV4.2). I pulled the ECU noting that 2 bolts were not quite tight and there was some electrical tape on the ECU, any way I cracked it open. Low and behold there was 3 capacitors that stood out like a sore thumb (see photos). Surrounding these 3 caps were remnants of leaking caps. But there was 3 brand new caps in their place. These had been replaced before but who ever had done it, did the worst soldering job I had seen to date. So I pulled out all my soldering gear and carefully removed one cap at a time and cleaned up the surface before replacing the caps and using god's gift, leaded solder to reinstall them, noting on removal that 2 caps had been installed reverse polarity.

Cleaning them up and reinstalling the capacitors was easy and cleaning up any residue was hard. It was caked on and pretty resistant. I cleaned them up the best I could, let it air out and installed it back into the car the next day. Fired up first time like always and left idling for well over 30 minutes without a single hiccup. Bridging TE1 and E1 gave me constantly flashing (no codes stored). I just about jumped out of my seat in excitement and couldnt wait to tell my wife and father.

Anyway, I hope to keep this one for quite a lot longer than the last one I had and I am happy I found myself with the bigger 1KZ.

I do want to try identify the exact model of ECU I have, as most of what I could find online is of auto ECU's. I have attached a photo of what's left of the label and ToyoDIY seems to narrow it down but I can't confirm.

I am excellent with electronics and not bad with mechanics. I service and repair all my cars and typically enjoy every minute of it. Can't wait to have it kitted out and modified practically and tastefully.

I am very open to suggestions, ideas and criticism.

Once its running and registered the next plan is to paint it with my son in the extremely tasteful Dulux colour 'Toad'
    Attached Files

ECU will be an 89661-3D090 (08/1993 - 04/1994) or 89661-3D091 (05/1994 - 10/1995)

Where are you located?

Comment

Picture of my kzn130 1994 ECU if that helps
      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Beautiful sunny Brisbane in Queensland Australia.

I refitted the ecu and so far haven't heard any relay clicking or fuel cut issues.

Can't wait to get this registered and driving beautifully. Kit her out for camping with some family friends.

Thank you for the ecu info. I found on toyodiy similar part numbers and might look at getting some stickers made for the ecu.

Comment

I have a 12/91 LN130 that has been sitting in the carport for years begging me to get it back on the road, but I don't think that is going to happen. Have a ton of new parts for it, but just not fit enough to work on it anymore. I also have quite a few new parts that will also suit the KZN130. Among these are two brand new side mirrors. Let me know if you ever need anything, as I may sell everything I got including the LN130 whole or for parts.

Comment

If I still had the genuine EPC on my computer I could tell you the exact ECU part number. Unfortunately the EPC version I have does not run on Windows10.

Post the Model and Frame Numbers for your vehicle and I will try to match it anyway.

Comment

Ah I have heard of the EPC. Is there any particular source to best get it from Or are the 'sources' best found online?

Where are you from Nev?

Comment

Still looking for a newer version that runs on Windows11. I'm on the northside of Brisbane.

Comment

I will have a look around for versions that may suit later versions of Windows. I am pretty sure that you can get whole VMs that run on VirtualBox, VMware and others.

So I managed to fix a small leak on the power steering, checked the front brakes and throw some basically brand new tires and different rims on the surf. Gave it a quick pressure wash to get all the cobwebs off it.

The front right rim gave me grief because the hub and rim have barely any clearance.

Still not sure if I like this new rims more than. The originals. Pretty sure these are off a triton, my last surf had rims off a Pajero.

Ran the car heaps yesterday and not a single hiccup. This motor is good and healthy

Just need engine mounts and a good service.

Few other things wrong are the rear windows are so slow, the sunroof doesn't react (might be a switch issue, they feel cooked) and the tailgate window switch in the car only goes down.

Also missing the antenna switch if that's a thing, there is a empty switch spot in the centre console and a soft/hard shock switch not connected to anything.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X