1992 SSRX New Shocks and faulty 4WD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 SSRX New Shocks and faulty 4WD?

Hi! New member, but I've definitely searched these forums for super helpful info in the past.

I have a 1992 Hilux Surf SSRX ln130 2.4 that I bought a couple years ago. I've recently lost my job due to COVID stuff, and my significant other wants me to get rid of one of my vehicles (other is a 2018 sedan). Now the Hilux has waaaaay more character than my sedan, but it needs some work. I've got her semi-convinced on keeping the Hilux because it's a super cool and useful vehicle, but also has held / will hold its value a lot better than the sedan.

So I figured I should just go ahead and join the site and start asking for advice on specifics.

Namely, there are two big issues: the shocks are now shot, and the 4wd does not appear to be working.

I'll say right now that I am a total newbie with mechanics, and it is definitely not in my wheelhouse. I can figure some stuff out, but I would need a detailed explanation on changing oil, for example (last time I changed oil was like 20 years ago). The biggest things I've done so far on the truck is replace the rear window motor and the metal tracks that attach the window mechanism to the window itself.

So the shocks are the stock pneumatic ones with the electronic toggle on the dash (hard mode and bouncy castle mode) that have a bit of a lift to them. Does anyone have suggestions on where I could find the proper parts? Local mechanics have been useless (most won't even touch my truck because it's an import and not in their computer systems). We live in Western Washington State in the USA. Looking at youtube videos it seems like I can replace front and rear shocks by myself, but before I drop a couple hundred dollars I want to make sure I'm getting the right ones.

So yeah: what are proper shocks to get for my rig? Does it make a difference that before my current shocks died it looked like the suspension was lifted a few inches?

Secondly, the 4wd isn't working. The button on the side of the 4wd shifter doesn't do anything. If I use the shifter to go into 4wd Low, the gear differentials are definitely changing, but the front wheels aren't engaging. My guess is that the automatic differential thingy isn't working. The truck definitely sat for a good long time before I bought it so my guess is that maybe it's a vacuum line leak? Except I have no idea how to diagnose that or if there's anything else I should be checking (fuses seem good, for what that's worth).

Anyway, happy to finally join the site and if anyone could offer some nuggets of wisdom or advice I'd greatly appreciate it. The fate of my continued Hilux ownership is in the balance here!
Working...
X