yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should this be in the newbie Technical section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should this be in the newbie Technical section?

Hey guys, I am a a relative newbie, and want to service my new truck.

Its a 3LT Turbo diesel Auto

Can you advise me, if I upgrade to "Raceing" platinum electrode spark plugs, would it give me a power boost?

observance servey
    Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Shoot me if i'm wrong but diesel's don't have spark plugs....
    ======
    Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

(\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by TimberSurf

Can you advise me, if I upgrade to "Raceing" platinum electrode spark plugs, would it give me a power boost?

observance servey
        nice one.......
        depends where you put em.......
        CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

At last a owner on my level.. (Note this is in the JOKE section)
          Last edited by Assasin-uk; 14 December 2004, 00:40.

Comment

observance servey
            Shpuld be posted in the technical area or 3.0. But for anyone out there a simple intro can be found here
            http://www.freeautoadvice.com/diesel/glow.html

Note that the diesel engine has no spark plug, that it intakes air and compresses it, and that it then injects the fuel directly into the combustion chamber (direct injection). It is the heat of the compressed air that lights the fuel in a diesel engine.

The injector on a diesel engine is its most complex component and has been the subject of a great deal of experimentation -- in any particular engine it may be located in a variety of places. The injector has to be able to withstand the temperature and pressure inside the cylinder and still deliver the fuel in a fine mist. Getting the mist circulated in the cylinder so that it is evenly distributed is also a problem, so some diesel engines employ special induction valves, pre-combustion chambers or other devices to swirl the air in the combustion chamber or otherwise improve the ignition and combustion process.

One big difference between a diesel engine and a gas engine is in the injection process. Most car engines use port injection or a carburettor rather than direct injection. In a car engine, therefore, all of the fuel is loaded into the cylinder during the intake stroke and then compressed. The compression of the fuel/air mixture limits the compression ratio of the engine -- if it compresses the air too much, the fuel/air mixture spontaneously ignites and causes knocking. A diesel compresses only air, so the compression ratio can be much higher. The higher the compression ratio, the more power is generated.

Some diesel engines contain a glow plug of some sort (not shown in this figure). When a diesel engine is cold, the compression process may not raise the air to a high enough temperature to ignite the fuel. The glow plug is an electrically heated wire hat helps ignite the fuel when the engine is cold so that the engine can start.

For havin a laugh...Good one!
            Last edited by Gizmo; 14 December 2004, 00:44.
            Gaz

Comment

Might look good connected to some power and bolted with the ends showing out of the bonnet, make a nice change from the neon windscreen washers.

Or you could power them with a switch and fit them just under the passenger seat cover so that you can eject passengers at the flick of a switch.

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated!

As a small payment, maybe I can pay you back, with this real HOT tip on performance

It works on both diesels and petrol!

Take some 55mm (red) ultraflex cable directly from the battery + terminal to the Alternator + terminal

This will allow the alternator to be back fed from the battery and act as Motor

Thus you will get a power boost of up to 200Watts, for free

You may have to recharge the battery in your garage when you get home from a long run

But house elctricity is cheap and the power boost uses no extra fuel!

And if you believe this, you deserve to blow up your alternater!
                Lifes for smileing at! when ya Surf's not broke!

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys, much appreciated!

As a small payment, maybe I can pay you back, with this real HOT tip on performance

It works on both diesels and petrol!

Take some 55mm (red) ultraflex cable directly from the battery + terminal to the Alternator + terminal

This will allow the alternator to be back fed from the battery and act as Motor

Thus you will get a power boost of up to 200Watts, for free

You may have to recharge the battery in your garage when you get home from a long run

But house elctricity is cheap and the power boost uses no extra fuel!

And if you believe this, you deserve to blow up your alternater!
                  Hmmm........Does it help reduce the cost of the flux capacitator?

Comment

Working...
                  X