Surf v Pajero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philip
    How the hell do you get 28MPG from 3 ltr turbo !! Never had more than 21 and usually 18-20 although i am not a slow driver, even if i slowed down don't think i could get 28. Maybe if i pushed it. Car runs and starts perfectly, with smoke reading 1.4 which i am told is good. Beats me!
    Its still the best car going.
    Philip
    I get 25-26 most of the time. Have had 29.8 once on long mway trip. I never go over 3000rpm, never use the ECT, try to hardly ever use the brakes - try and get into lockup asap and stay there but take o/d off in town - knock it into neutral at traffic lights.

Its funny - we get stick from the anti-4wd lobby but I think it makes you drive better when it empties your wallet that quickly if you dont.

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Mine is a 3rd Gen and will easy return 25-30 MPG

Andy

Comment

I usually fill up when I have 220-250 miles and put in 40 liters. That will fill it up. I dont drive slow (only when her in doors is with me). I travel 12 miles to work daily on a dual carriage way. I am sooooo much richer and happier than with the Pajero...

Comment

Around here the Paj is just a mumwagon, used for the school run and popping to the shops. If you see 10 Paj's in a day you will only see one surf and it usually has a good covering of mud.
          Johnny

Comment

My 3rd Gen with intercooler returns around 30mpg most of the time. Did Newport South Wales to Dover on half a tank 212 miles speed varying between 75 and 80
            [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

Turbo intercooler

Mine is 2nd gen kzn130. Will intercooler make a lot of difference? If i understand right, then living in London, i would be better off turning overdrive off, so using 3 not 4 gears.
              Philip
              Still Searching,
              Dick Whittington

Comment

I have a 3th Gen 3.0, live in North Devon and often use ECT. I rarely switch off O/D. I do about 200 miles MWay, and 100 miles country lanes and town, per week.
                My surf is cared for normally by local Toyota dealer

consumption is an avarage of 12.5 liters / 100 km (I don't do MPG)
                Last edited by skipkoo; 16 November 2004, 20:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                  Mine is 2nd gen kzn130. Will intercooler make a lot of difference? If i understand right, then living in London, i would be better off turning overdrive off, so using 3 not 4 gears.
                  Philip
                  None of the tips make a lot of difference by themselves, but together they add up to a bit. The theory with the O/D off in town is that you will get less slip in the torque convertor as the engine speed and gearbox speed will be closer at low roadspeeds that way. Slip in the torque convertor = energy wasted as heat due to churning the fluid up. The benefit is greatest where the engine is most efficient and that is around the 1800-2500 mark. Either side of this and the specific fuel consumption will rise. So (in theory) even with a manual gearbox, getting into too high a gear too early is not going to give you best mpg.

Naturally, 3gen's will be more efficient than turbo only 2gens due to their intercooling which lowers the temp of the incoming air (which has just been heated due to compression in the turbo).

Some pretty impressive mpg figures listed here - funny how we all know exactly how much we get!!! Wales to Dover on half a tank is good by any standards

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by skipkoo
                    I have a 3th Gen 3.0, live in North Devon and often use ECT. I rarely switch off O/D. I do about 200 miles MWay, and 100 miles country lanes and town, per week.
                    My surf is cared for normally by local Toyota dealer

consumption is an avarage of 12.5 liters / 100 km (I don't do MPG)

22.5mpg - still happy?

Cheers

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by exmee46
                      22.5mpg - still happy?

Cheers

Kev
                      Geeee.... Thanks Kev,

I quite happy with it considering my MAN truck drinks about 28l/100k and my heavy foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                        I am seriously considering buying my first Surf and have found the info on this site really useful. However I have seen quite a few Pajeros for sale and I am wondering if anyone in Surfland has experience of both particularily with regard to the following:
                        1 Reliability
                        2 Ease of servicing/availability of spares
                        3 Depreciation
                        4 Off road capabilities

Thanks
                        I'm not sure I can say this - but what the hey, it was my wife who said it - "Pajeros are a bit 'gay' with those captains chairs and all". My short list was Pajero / Surf / Grand Cherokee. Obviously I bought the surf, if only to preserve my manhood in the eyes of the missus!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

surf v pajero

i have a 1992 2.4 surf and a 1994 2.5 pajero who ever makes it out off the door first in the morning(me or the wife)gets the surf.get me drift

Comment

i drove both, and prefered the surf, but if you need the 7 seats then the pajero is an option, or a 'cruiser...

its the grin factor that gets you. so many times i find myself grinning like a loony and waving at every other surf i see my missus thinks im nuts... but she wants on the insurance now!!

22 - 30 mpg, and a damm sight faster than the pajero in my opinion.
                            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

and Pajero means w****r in Spanish!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                                and Pajero means w****r in Spanish!
                                That's not even wrong, though it sounds so made up on a Toyota forum.

This extract from the Urban Dictionary.

_______
                                /_/ _ | 0\__
                                \,...__,..._ /
                                _(o)__(o)_

Comment

Working...
                                X