On Broadband At Last.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Broadband At Last.

Thanks to all for their help and advice. As a temporary fix I had a 128MB memory card fitted into my PC at £29.99
    It's not working at lightning speed but it will tide me over until I save some pennies for a faster system.
    Broadband install did not go as smoothly as it could have. I got to the bit where it was checking the modem and zilch. I then get the message. "An error occurred blah, blah,blah...... contact NTL Tech Support"
    I phone the tech support number, key in my options and get a recorded message saying, "Due to essential mantainence work and a system upgrade, there will be no technical support available and no new bradband users will be able to register until the 18th November. I then phone NTL Customer Services and tell them not to bill me for broadband for the month of November, because I can't even complete the install through no fault of my own. The nice customer support person gives me a web address and Ser No and hey presto, here I am.

The Mrs has taken to her bed on account of my swearing and the dog is hiding in the cupboard under the stairs!!!!!!!
    It's only a hobby!

Glad u got it sorted Phil

yep, people seem to disappear in my house when the patience is getting thin and the airs turning blue

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldsy
      Glad u got it sorted Phil

yep, people seem to disappear in my house when the patience is getting thin and the airs turning blue
      I still need to upgrade. Although I had the 128MB card fitted, the properties only shows 92MB RAM. Apparantly this is because of the archaic graphics system in the machine, which pinches 36MB of the RAM. I's still faster than dial up though!
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

christ!... NTL... hmmm... say no more!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          I still need to upgrade. Although I had the 128MB card fitted, the properties only shows 92MB RAM. Apparantly this is because of the archaic graphics system in the machine, which pinches 36MB of the RAM. I's still faster than dial up though!
          Yep!...quite a few of the onboard graphic chips actually use shared RAM.....mine is an ATI rage 128 and this grabs RAM. Got 384MB and uses 128MB setup in BIOS....

Need to start looking at new machine myself as its basically running like a Chelsea Pensioner on a Zebra crossing....

A slug will be faster. PIII-500 and full to the brim on disk.

Just installed a second cheapo card with NVIDIA GeoForce on...just need space for the second monitor now!
          Gaz

Comment

wow, my 386 is going great, on broadband and it hosts this site and all my off road pics and videos.
            I just thought 10mins on boot up was standard, might need to look in to getting a upgrade to a 486
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Working...
            X