R.I.P Emlyn Hughes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P Emlyn Hughes

Former England and Liverpool captain Emlyn Hughes has died from a brain tumour at the age of 57.
    Hughes earned 62 caps for the national team and led Liverpool to a string of honours while at the Anfield club.

He helped the club to four league titles, two European Cups, an FA Cup victory and two Uefa Cup titles.

Hughes was the first player to lift the European Cup for Liverpool after the victory over Borussia Moenchengladbach in 1977.

He was awarded an OBE in 1980 for his services to sport and the larger than life personality was nicknamed Crazy Horse.
    Hughes was a midfielder who converted to centre-back and was signed for Liverpool by Bill Shankly for £65,000 from Blackpool in 1967.

He left Liverpool for Wolves in 1979 for £90,000 and also went on to play for Rotherham, Hull City, Mansfield Town and Swansea City.

The legendary player won the Football Writers' Player of the Year in 1977 and completed his full set of domestic honours when he won the League Cup with Wolves in 1980.

Hughes had been battling a brain tumour for the last 15 months but his condition deteriorated in the last few days.

His wife Barbara said: "He died at his home in Sheffield with his family around him."

He was also known for his role as a team captain on the BBC quiz show A Question of Sport.

Liverpool will hold a minute's silence in rememberance of Hughes before their Carling Cup match against Middlesbrough on Wednesday.

"Those lucky enough to see him play will recall his boundless enthusiasm, 100% commitment to the cause and unrelenting passion for the club whenever he had the Liver Bird close to his chest," Liverpool said on their website.

"He was to be one of the most inspirational signings this club ever made and in a glittering career with the Reds he won almost every honour in the game.

"He will be sadly missed by all."

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry added: "Our deepest sympathies go out to wife Barbara, children Emma and Emlyn junior, and the rest of the family at this sad time."

Take from the BBC Sport website

had the privilige to meet Emlyn a few years ago and thought he was a great bloke someone who had lived a life and had many funny tales to tell, i'm very very sad to hear of his death a true sporting gent/hero gone but never forgotten
    if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

R.I.P Emlyn, Hull City are also to hold a minute silence before their game this weekend
      F[COLOR=Black]C[/COLOR] T[COLOR=Black]I[/COLOR]L[COLOR=Black]L[/COLOR] I[COLOR=Black] D[/COLOR]I[COLOR=Black]E[/COLOR]

Comment

a great player
        a great laugh
        a great man
        certainly one of my football heroes
        ex Burgundy 2.4 owner

Comment

Working...
        X