Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm gonna need another surf.

Evening !

Firstly I thought buying the surf, I'd get to play in it, hell-no.

Can't get near the damn thing, as soon as I even think about nipping out in it, I'm reminded by the wife that it's her surf - sigh !

God knows whats going to happen when I suggest we put an amateur radio set in it.

Something tells me I'm going have to buy another surf.

Still gives me a big grin just looking at the monster out on the drive......

Do many Surf owners in Northants / North Beds meet up ?

Regards
    Andy ( ancl )

Go on you know you want to. Get one which you can mod a bit and use it partly as a toy, you,ve got another one to fall back on. We sometimes meet at www.devilspit.co.uk unfortunately after a lot of searching around, there doesnt seem to be a lot of legal green lanes in the Beds area.

Comment

Originally posted by ancl
      Evening !

Firstly I thought buying the surf, I'd get to play in it, hell-no.

Can't get near the damn thing, as soon as I even think about nipping out in it, I'm reminded by the wife that it's her surf - sigh !

God knows whats going to happen when I suggest we put an amateur radio set in it.

Something tells me I'm going have to buy another surf.

Still gives me a big grin just looking at the monster out on the drive......

Do many Surf owners in Northants / North Beds meet up ?

Regards
      Andy ( ancl )
      Crikes Andy, there must be at least ten of us Radio Amateurs on here now. Almost enough for a splinter group. I bet we could make the numbers for discount at Devils Pit on our own!!
      No HF set in the car at the moment. I managed to blow my first PA a couple of months ago. Got a little commercial Icom going on 2M at the moment. The spare wheel carrier is a great mount for seriously big mobile antennas.
      Enjoy the Surf whatever you do with it.
      I'm lucky. Lesley doesn't drive.

73 de G0RKF
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Phil...

Used to run HF mobile in my little Vauxhall Astra upto about a year ago, but wife would get ashamed of me driving through the town with a 7ft whip talking on the radio.

Into CW, off-air at the moment - got fed up with the local bickering, but had fun trying to operate CW mobile using the microphone's up and down buttons for the dits and dahs and trying not to crash the car.

Best bit was working into the British Virgin Islands on 80M mobile whilst driving to work in the morning.

Worst bit was testing a top-band antenna, trying to work out why next door's cat kept looking up at the antenna when I was talking in the car on the driveway, opening door, looking up, I could see a lovely blue spark at the top of the antenna everytime I spoke.

I'm planning on being at the devils-pit on the 21st so perhaps see you there.

Regards
        Andy ( ancl / g0sop )

Comment

Originally posted by ancl
          Phil...

Used to run HF mobile in my little Vauxhall Astra upto about a year ago, but wife would get ashamed of me driving through the town with a 7ft whip talking on the radio.

Into CW, off-air at the moment - got fed up with the local bickering, but had fun trying to operate CW mobile using the microphone's up and down buttons for the dits and dahs and trying not to crash the car.

Best bit was working into the British Virgin Islands on 80M mobile whilst driving to work in the morning.

Worst bit was testing a top-band antenna, trying to work out why next door's cat kept looking up at the antenna when I was talking in the car on the driveway, opening door, looking up, I could see a lovely blue spark at the top of the antenna everytime I spoke.

I'm planning on being at the devils-pit on the 21st so perhaps see you there.

Regards
          Andy ( ancl / g0sop )
          I know why I blew the PA. I mounted the antenna tuning unit inside the tailgate and fed the wire through with loads of heatshrink and rubbber tube over the top, thinking that it would be sufficient. There is a nice mark on the lower edge of the tailgate where it arced. I would have thought the ATU would have sustained the damage but it had to be the xpensive bit!!!
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

took delivery of a yaesu ft857d last week - just got the sufr back from cambelt and fluids/filters stat/cap etc - goes like !!!! off a wet stick as they say 'oop north - now just need to find a nice point to get the 50amp red/black cable ive just bought through the bulkhead - glad ive got the 2 batteries. as for aerial - bought a moonraker (ampro) 80- 10m 'mobile' aerial - couldnt imagine driving with it on but ok when stationary!! will post a piccie this weekend now ive got camera facilities!

73's

Chris

M0DTE

think we should have a net on 40m sometime?

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
              I know why I blew the PA. I mounted the antenna tuning unit inside the tailgate and fed the wire through with loads of heatshrink and rubbber tube over the top, thinking that it would be sufficient. There is a nice mark on the lower edge of the tailgate where it arced. I would have thought the ATU would have sustained the damage but it had to be the xpensive bit!!!

Oi, off to the basement with the lot of you and wash your mouths out with soap on the way
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Whats this the "HAM 12"

SIN BIN for them Nigel just like the SUZI 6!!

Paul
                DUNNO'S BACK ..........He never really went away!

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                  Oi, off to the basement with the lot of you and wash your mouths out with soap on the way

i am indeed off to the basement - setting up a new shack!

well... just as soon as ive finished the kitchen!

Chris
                  (new improved serviced surf driver!)

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                    YOU AINT SENDIN EM DOWN THERE we only got a new battery for the torch last week and they will use it all up yakin on their radios and we will be in the dark again....

psst want to see some photos of a dubious nature from de basement album
                    Last edited by sumo; 17 August 2007, 08:22.
                    If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
                      YOU AINT SENDIN EM DOWN THERE we only got a new battery for the torch last week and they will use it all up yakin on their radios and we will be in the dark again....

psst want to see some photos of a dubious nature from de basement album

I hope he was only asking directions to the nearest Surf dealer
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

[QUOTE=Smokin]took delivery of a yaesu ft857d last week - just got the sufr back from cambelt and fluids/filters stat/cap etc - goes like !!!! off a wet stick as they say 'oop north - now just need to find a nice point to get the 50amp red/black cable ive just bought through the bulkhead - glad ive got the 2 batteries. as for aerial - bought a moonraker (ampro) 80- 10m 'mobile' aerial - couldnt imagine driving with it on but ok when stationary!! will post a piccie this weekend now ive got camera facilities!

We say "GOES LIKE STINK or GOES LIKE !!!! OFF A SHOVEL" UP NORTH
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                        (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                        X