how is a wheel balanced on the vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how is a wheel balanced on the vehicle

went back to the place that balanced my wheels, as they just used the centre bit and the wheels not balanced properly.
    I asked if they could balance them with a stud fitting, as people have advised on these forums. They said yes - or can do it with wheels on vehicle????,
    how do they do that?

andy
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Look at the bottom of this page.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/

Comment

ahh - nifty thing, now i understand, i thought it would be some cup thing pressing against wheel face
      thanks
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

I really would recomend getting wheels balanced on the vehicle, it balances not only the wheel but the whole rotating assembly and makes a huge difference to the way the car drives!!
        If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
        I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

Wheels

Hi being one of my other skills l used to fit tyres years ago and l would not recomend having wheels balanced on the vehicle, for these reasons:-
          1/ You can only have that wheel on that perticular hub and you must mark the studs when taking off so as to put it back in the right place.
          2/ To have it balanced on the vehicle means there is a problem of some sort ie: balljoints, trackrod ends, wheel bearings and so on.
          3/ l like to rotate my wheels so as to get even wear out of them which you can not do if balanced on the vehicle.

Regards "Hilux" Bob
          Live Life To The Full

Comment

cheers Hilux Bob
            with that info in mind, sounds i will go for balancing them on a stud-fitting thingy, off the vehicle
            Ive recently replaced all track-rod ends, and all suspension arm ball-joints, so doubt they contribute
            andrew
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
            X