Get Outa My way !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Outa My way !

After spending over a month getting frustrated that the person driving the 106 could not see the 2 tone beast coming towards them , I have invested in a Set of Air Horns.

No , Unfortunately , my wife thought it would be too tacky to have the Dukes of Hazard horns, but opted for a Duel Tone Stobel nautilus Unit instead ( mainly cos it was cheap , and looked easy to install )

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Horns.html

Well they are now fitted , and at 139db they are certaily loud , and people do notice you now when you blow the horn , well they kinda jump actually !

So if your looking at upgrading your horn , I can certainly suggest a set of air horns. The only gripe I have , is they are not a very deep tone, I wanted something like a juggernaught horn, anyone else fitted a nice horn ( chuckle )
    http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Not Deep Enough

yep

I fitted a triple air horn in my first Surf, but like you say it is not what you expect, it needs to be deeper. Then I fitted a Claxton (much better) but still not right. I must say it's a bit tight for space in the bonnet. If you hear of that horn we are looking for let me know please.

Rubblebags.
    Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Yeah, a surf really need something with the tone and volume of the horn on on of those big american firetrucks ... think the opening scene of Backdraft and that's the kind of thing!

I found my horns to be missing when I bought my Surf so went for a couple of air horns from Halfords. They sell 'em singly in either Hi or Lo tones, so I went for two Lo Tones which I find to be pleasantly mellow!
      Rob

'92 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      "You Sir are drunk!"
      "Ahh yes Madam, but you are ugly and in the morning I shall be sober."
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

We have the "american" style airhorns fitted to some of our fire appliances at the moment (on trial) and they are fantastic at moving the traffic out the way, even Wayne in his Corsa with the big wheels, neon washer jets and 500 Watt sterio can hear us!
        I'll have a word with one of our mechanics next time I brake summat and find out what sort they are.
        [COLOR=red]Cheers, Darren.

POLITITIANS AND NAPPIES:-
        THEY BOTH NEED CHANGING FOR THE SAME REASON![/COLOR]

Comment

We have the big chrome trumpet horns on the roof of our fire engine.
          Just like the one I have in the front of the Surf, it faces down near rthe readiator and people KNOW when they have done something that annoys me. Mainly BMW w@nkers with thier phone in thieir ear.
          It has its own compressor and makes a hell of a blast with a nice rich tone like the fire ones.
          The guys who do the WOF (MOT) don't like it
          Simon.O.
          '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

There is a set of chrome steel air horns in the local accessory shop. I got them to try and fit them into the Surpa but they wouldn't fit. But I bet they would fit the Surf. Hmm maybe I'll go back for them.

At the moment I have a set of Opel (Vauxhall) horns. They give out a great noise. Plenty loud for the moment. I got them out of an Omega.

Comment

Originally posted by SparX
              After spending over a month getting frustrated that the person driving the 106 could not see the 2 tone beast coming towards them , I have invested in a Set of Air Horns.

No , Unfortunately , my wife thought it would be too tacky to have the Dukes of Hazard horns, but opted for a Duel Tone Stobel nautilus Unit instead ( mainly cos it was cheap , and looked easy to install )

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Horns.html

Well they are now fitted , and at 139db they are certaily loud , and people do notice you now when you blow the horn , well they kinda jump actually !

So if your looking at upgrading your horn , I can certainly suggest a set of air horns. The only gripe I have , is they are not a very deep tone, I wanted something like a juggernaught horn, anyone else fitted a nice horn ( chuckle )
              Sorry for ressurecting an ancient thread like Lazarus from the dead, but I've had a set of these lying around that I was going to put on my old car. Now I've just got a Surf and have found that the horn is knackered and sounds like a squeaking mouse instead of a car horn!
              I was just having a look as to where to put them and found that despite its size space is still a bit of an issue around the radiator area. Just wondering where you actually fitted the Nautilus?? Thanks, Simon
              Ubi est mea anaticula cumminosa?

Comment

Originally posted by rubblebags
                yep

I fitted a triple air horn in my first Surf, but like you say it is not what you expect, it needs to be deeper. Then I fitted a Claxton (much better) but still not right. I must say it's a bit tight for space in the bonnet. If you hear of that horn we are looking for let me know please.

Rubblebags.
                http://www.wolo-mfg.com/truck.htm Try these
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

With air horns, I should think you could mount them
                  anywhere in the engine bay and still be loud.

Matt

Comment

I'll have a word with one of our mechanics next time I brake summat and find out what sort they are.[/QUOTE]

shouldn't take long....nothing is firefighter proof
                    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
                    Tony

Comment

With regards to the tone, if anyone wanted a deep bass type tone,
                      a tinsmith would be able to knock up a nice wide copper bell to
                      really give you a good low down tone.

Matt

Comment

I fitted a pair of airhorns to Hippo, but I have left 1 trumpet unconnected - tis much louder with 1 getting all the air

I still have the standard Toyota ones fitted, a gentle tap on the wheel get's them tooting, but lean on the wheel and the beastie yells forth !!!!!

Trev
                        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by SimonH
                          Sorry for ressurecting an ancient thread like Lazarus from the dead, but I've had a set of these lying around that I was going to put on my old car. Now I've just got a Surf and have found that the horn is knackered and sounds like a squeaking mouse instead of a car horn!
                          I was just having a look as to where to put them and found that despite its size space is still a bit of an issue around the radiator area. Just wondering where you actually fitted the Nautilus?? Thanks, Simon

Mine is located to the right hand side , at the bottom of the rad , unfortunately its given up the ghost , i think its too low , and sucked in loads of water and mud ( probably from messing around in streams and fords )

A friend of mine mounted his airhorns near the air intake, that seemed to work ok.

Good luck .

SparX
                          http://www.darksidesolutions.co.uk - Web Solutions

Comment

Working...
                          X