Plumber to aisle 3 please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumber to aisle 3 please

Simple job of fitting this to the bathroom sink but no matter where I put the plastic washer it still leaks. I've put the washer just above the nut and then put it just below the top collar but it leaks both ways...

no tyre kickers please

Originally posted by JimL
    Simple job of fitting this to the bathroom sink but no matter where I put the plastic washer it still leaks. I've put the washer just above the nut and then put it just below the top collar but it leaks both ways...

no tyre kickers please

You need a black rubber ring on the fitting first, then push through the hole of the sink, fit plastic washer and do up nut. If it still leaks you need some plumbers maite (a kind of putty) to seal it against the sink hole, because from you picture I can see it has an overflow hole cut into it. But.. without seeing the sink this is just a bit of guess work, let me know if I can help further.
    Vince

Comment

silicone tape wrapped around the thread

Comment

Thanks lads, job done, PTFE tape and boss white did the trick.

What a forum !

Comment

Jim

I had exactly the same prob at my mums flat when i fitted a new sink , bath and toilet . They ALL leaked , even though I have fitted kitchens, bathrooms etc for a number of people and myself . It took 4 weeks to solve the sink plug fitting that looks similar to yours .
          In the end I had to use a tube of sealer on the threads , mount hole and lock nut . Once fitted I then ran a bead of sealer all round the outside of the fitting and left to dry .
          So far so good , it has not leaked .

Plus I have no idea where the batterys fit !
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL

no tyre kickers please

You need a good amount of plumbers mate around the neck of the fitting and a small amount around the plug opening on the sink. Firmly place it, squeezing the excess out around it, then put the white/clear washer on (between nut and sink) and tighten the nut hand tight at first. Tighten gradually making sure the plug is flat and level and copiuos amount of plumb mate oozes out. Leave for about 15 mins, then cut round the plug with a sharp instrument and slightly smooth and wetten (is that a word?) with your finger. Leave for about an hour so that the putty forms a skin on it. One thing though, make sure the plug is the right one for your sink..........Hope this helps, cos I never thought I would be typing about this sort of thing.

Comment

Hi JimL,
              you need sanitary silicone mastic, squeeze it around the bottom of the sink before you drop the waste in, dont worry about using to much just wipe any excess off before it dries,
              PS, clear silicone, and the washer you have underneath
              All the best
              Rob

Comment

Working...
              X