RIP John Peel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP John Peel

- sure most of us have grown up with John at some point in their life - absolutely gutted that a genuine hero of mine has sadly passed away.

condolences to his family and anyone who knew him

music airplay on national radio may never be the same again!

Chris

Yeh from me too. When I was growing up John Peel was the only decent DJ. He started so many bands on the road to stardom - in fact most of the ones that I like.

He was a true personality - a giant of the radio. Someone who will be sadly missed.

condolences to his family and all those listeners for which he was a part of their music education.

The King is dead, long live the King.

Cheers

Comment

Another sad day for music,used to listen to the John Peel Show religiously from 1976 till well into the '80s(weekdays 10 till midnight)his support for up and coming artists was phenominal,a true music fan,genius and a gentleman,he will be sadly missed, rest in peace Peely.
      Powered by ????

Comment

His was the only radio show to truly support and showcase new music,his enthusiasm was boundless.
        Condolences to all who knew and loved him- There are no words to express the loss.
        A positive attitude wont solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

Comment

When people started saying "awh John Peel is dead" I hadnt a clue who he was. Hearing what people on here and at work have been saying today. I feel sadly cheated that I never heard him on the radio. He must have been a great guy and I'm very sorry that I'll never now get the chance to hear him.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Not forgetting the awesome Old Grey Whistle Test music is gonna miss him.

Comment

Sad Sad Day The day that music died R.I.P John.
              Bob Harris is all we got left now and he aint bad
              WD40 "He who Thinks Australian"

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                When people started saying "awh John Peel is dead" I hadnt a clue who he was. Hearing what people on here and at work have been saying today. I feel sadly cheated that I never heard him on the radio. He must have been a great guy and I'm very sorry that I'll never now get the chance to hear him.

Linda.
                There's a tribute show on XFM(104.9) at 21.00 hrs tonight...
                A positive attitude wont solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

Comment

Sad news. I heard on the way into work tonight. I remember listening to John on Radio London (the pirate radio station) on my old transistor radio, that I used to sneak under the pillow at bedtime. He was such an entusiast and would play bands that broke the mould. John Peel will be sadly missed.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

African music has become a major inspiration for European pop music almost entirely due to John Peel's eclectic radio programmes. Without John Peel, Prince Sonny Adae, the Oriental Brothers, Kojo Antwi, Ama Ofosu-Barko and many other fabulous West African musicians would probably never have been heard by Europeans.

I haven't listened to his programme in years but I can still remember hearing all this great stuff and wanting to go out and buy it because I'd heard it on Peel's show. He had amazingly good taste.

Comment

Don't know what to say really. I was never a big fan but I'll never come home at some stupid hour and expect to hear John Peel again. Shame really cos he always seemed to be there whenever i least expected it.
                      Ooops, I think that was the wrong rpm .........

Comment

classic !

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin

classic !
                          Great montage by Chris Moyles this morning . Old Peely had many a prob with modern technology , he could never master the pre loaded jingle computer and Moylsey knew that and used to prime the machine to play tunes like theme from Grange Hill and others . Moyles played all the taped mistakes that John had made live and knew it was Moyles who had done it to him . Great to hear , and I could not stop laughing thinking of John behind the control desk trying to keep calm amonst the chaos .
                          RIP Peely
                          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by keef
                            Linda.
                            There's a tribute show on XFM(104.9) at 21.00 hrs tonight...
                            Oops - just saw this - missed it! Still hopefully there will be others!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

top DJ gone but not forgotten listened to all the tributes on radio 1 on way up north sure did make me realise how old i was but hey great music to drive the M1 too
                              Enjoying Life after Cancer
                              Pops

Comment

Working...
                              X