Locknut on spare wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locknut on spare wheel

I bought a 1992 SSR-X a couple of weeks ago and I have noticed the spare wheel is connected to the spare wheel bracket with 3 nuts. 2 are standard and one is a locknut. The wheels themselves have no locknuts. My problem is I don't have a way of undoing the locknut on the spare. I have looked everywhere in the Surf but can't find the missing nut and the locknut spanner. Anybody know how to undo a locknut. Will a wheel dealer do it for me if I buy a set of locknuts from them ?
    Stephen

1992 SSR-X Grey 2.4 TD Automatic

They are very easy to undo. PM me for details...

Comment

Howabout a photo of the offending nut . There are a lot of different types available , so 1st we need to trace a manufacturer . If you post a pic someone may recognise it.
      Whats the access like - can you use a universal tool i.e. an alligator socket or an aston super wrench to remove it ?

Geoff
      Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

locknut

Had the same problem. A drill does the trick, knackers the nut mind but get it off.

steve
        Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

Spooky...I was just going to post on the same issue.

My (extremely bald) spare has some kind of security nut on it too. As I really need to change the tyre I need to get it off but again, like you other guys, seem to have no way of doing so.

I'll try and get a pic of it when I get in from work, but it's like a standard nut thats hollow and has a thread running down inside it. I presume you just screw the "key" down into it to unlock it - if you have a key that is.

Any words of wisdom anyone?

Rob
          Rob

'92 2.4TD SSR-X AUTO
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          "You Sir are drunk!"
          "Ahh yes Madam, but you are ugly and in the morning I shall be sober."
          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Rob, yours should just undo as it sounds like mine but you have the crome lock that fits over the bolt missing.
            I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Locknut on spare wheel

Here is a photo of the offending nut. It is hard to se. But it is sort of star shaped with rounded protrusions. " of the 5 edges of the star are closer giving it a sort of non-symmetrical look and making it even more difficilt. I don't mind drilling it if I have to because I want to get a set of locknuts.
              Attached Files
              Stephen

1992 SSR-X Grey 2.4 TD Automatic

Comment

An old socket is your best friend, find one that is a tight fit, hammer it over the lock nut and undo!

Ciaran, don't be so cagey, your average 10 year old kid knows the secret!
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

If it's like mine try the ignition key - that works.

cheers

Comment

It's pretty simple. You need a reverse helix 21mm socket. Then use your socket driver to put the reverse nut on. You will be trying to undo the locknut, but the reverse helix will be tightening on the nut. A few turns and its off without damage.

Comment

Working...
                    X