Buying a Surf what do I look for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Surf what do I look for

Ok you lot out there...need some advice....Saved around 6 grand and a bit to buy a 'Surf' ".(2.4 or 3.0) and need a little bit of inside know how as to what to look out for when I buy one. Would like one pretty quick as the weather is going to dreadful in the coming months...dont ask how I know...
    Any info as far as what to look for in a Japanese import would be great..Have been building cars since I was15 (long time ago) so have a bit of nowse. Any info would be great...Rodders Meirionnydd (Wales)

Leavin aside the 'engine checks' you should do with any car, I'm tryin hard to think of Anything that is common and serious enough not to buy it.

Check the operation of the 4 wheel drive on a loose/offroad surface - not on tarmac - and see that you really do have 4wd but few dont, and also listen on full steering lock in 4wd for telltale clicking indicating CV joint wear.

Good luck

Comment

Just as Jim says but check EVERY knob and switch works . Rear window must go up and down smoothly , operating from key on outside and switch inside . Heated rear screen elements need to be 'breathed' on to see if all work .

Silly things like locking wheel key is there , jack and handle .....etc
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

i just found my complete toolkit today nice surprise because i forgot to look there!.
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Hi lux surf what to look for

Thanks all for the advice every bit helps to get the right one..Will be back when one arrives at the front door. Could have done with one last night (friday) with so much rain here in darkest north Wales.
          Thanks again Rodders (Meirionnydd)

Comment

Originally posted by Rodders
            Thanks all for the advice every bit helps to get the right one..Will be back when one arrives at the front door. Could have done with one last night (friday) with so much rain here in darkest north Wales.
            Thanks again Rodders (Meirionnydd)
            You may need to upgrade headlight bulbs,they are not the brightest.