to 4x4 or not to 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to 4x4 or not to 4x4

Can somebody give me a clear answer as to when I should or shouldn't use 4wd on the road?

My Prado is scarily skittish on wet roads (without 4wd - it's much better of course with h4/hub lock engaged) - I've spun it once on a roundabout at low speed and come perilously close a few times. Yet I've also read that using 4wd (even in the high range) is not a good idea on the road.

Also - 4wd / hub lock... If I engage the 4wd WITHOUT the hub lock my dashboard light doesn't come on - does that mean I'm not using 4wd? If so- what's the point of having 2 switches?

Finally - IF I'm OK to use high range 4wd with Hub lock when it's wet on the road (which is what I currently do) - how fast can I go before I'm in danger of damaging the car? Can I/Should I use it on the motorway for example?

I'd appreciate any comments - I don't have an owners manual for the vehicle, indeed I can't get an English translation for my (1993) Prado - and the later models seem to have a different 4wd setup. All the searching I've done online can only throw up general comments - nothing specific to my vehicle... I've just spent £2000 fixing the cooling system (see my other posts in technical forum for a salutory read) and don't want to break the transmission as well!

Don't know too much about the Prado but if it's the same basic set-up as the 2.4 93 Surf then you wont have a central diff and therefore should NOT use 4WD on tarmac, even wet tarmac. Not having front lockers I can't be sure but if you need to lock them to achieve 4WD then nothing you do in the cab will make any difference. I don't think any of these vehicles came with diff lockers as standard. They are probably an aftermarket fitment by a previous owner.

If you are slipping on tarmac, what tyres do you have fitted. If they are AT or MT then they are likely to have less wet grip than HT road tyres but if you spend a lot of time off road then you'll probably just have to take it steadier on wet tarmac.
    Mike G

Comment

I couldn't find the info but if you put a post on here http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthrea...ffroadtoyotalcI am sure they will have the answer.

Rich.
      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

you got a hub lock button?... sure it's not a diff lock?

don't know what set up you got but if it's the same as a surf then 4wd should light up the green on the dash then diff lock will light up the orange light in the middle... don't use the diff lock on the road, just std 4wd
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
          you got a hub lock button?... sure it's not a diff lock?

don't know what set up you got but if it's the same as a surf then 4wd should light up the green on the dash then diff lock will light up the orange light in the middle... don't use the diff lock on the road, just std 4wd
          could help to change the tyres if you're still on the jap ones?... UK spec are different rubber and much grippier on our roads.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
          X