Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLUNK! - Help.

Guys n Gals

I've put this in 'General' as I understand this affects not just the 2.4 or the 3.0, but both.

Until recently I've not heard a peep out of my Surf when on full lock (or at any other time) but from last week I get t a horrible "clunk, clunk, clunk" when reversing slowly on full lock (full lock right that is).

Is this the bump stops thingys that are mentioned in the FAQs or is this something different/more serious?

Haven't whalloped it or anything, so am just hoping it's a matter of greasing something. Any advice?

Cheers in advance
    NorthWestDirt
    [aka Paul]

Here is a pic of the BUMPSTOPS, You werent in 4wd at the time were you???
    Attached Files
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Sounds very much like a CV joint if it's happening on full lock especially if it's a clunk,clunk noise in keeping with the rotation of the wheel.
      A positive attitude wont solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

Comment

The frequency of the clunks would suggest they're occuring at the same point on each turn.

Is this bad news then? If so, how bad (I'm getting worried )
        NorthWestDirt
        [aka Paul]

Comment

?CV Joint.

Leave the motor in 2WD and jack it up under the wishbone,turn on full lock and turn the road wheel,it's obviously best to have an assistant to do the turning while you listen to the CV joint.If it is b******d you should also be able to feel the crunching along the driveshaft.
          All the best.
          A positive attitude wont solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestDirt
            The frequency of the clunks would suggest they're occuring at the same point on each turn.

Is this bad news then? If so, how bad (I'm getting worried )
            Outer CV Joint 76.00 + VAT from http://www.milneroffroad.com/KZN130.htm
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll not get to have a proper look til the weekend, but I will.

Marky, forgot to say in response to your earlier message - it deffo wasn't in 4WD.

At least it's not remortgage time (providing it can be a straight forward as that - but then, I have to consider.........it is me)
              NorthWestDirt
              [aka Paul]

Comment

noise

Hello ive had problems with mine for a few weeks now it started of that a ratteling noise was coming from the front not all the time just now and then couldn't work out if it was coming from both wheels or just one. Then i took a sharp bend last week and it made very loud noise took it to a few garages most of them said couldnt see any thing wrong but one person said it was the wheel bearing what do you think?help
                Last edited by claire; 18 October 2004, 21:32.

Comment

Originally posted by claire
                  Hello ive had problems with mine for a few weeks now it started of that a ratteling noise was coming from the front not all the time just now and then couldn't work out if it was coming from both wheels or just one. Then i took a sharp bend last week and it made very loud noise took it to a few garages most of them said couldnt see any thing wrong but one person said it was the wheel bearing what do you think?help
                  Wheel bearing will generally only make a noise when going straight, and you can stop the noise when pressing the brake or wiggling the steering gently.

Yours sounds like the steering stop, but the rattle could be anything loose, but if it stops when in 4wd it could be the knuckle bushes.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestDirt
                    Guys n Gals

I've put this in 'General' as I understand this affects not just the 2.4 or the 3.0, but both.

Until recently I've not heard a peep out of my Surf when on full lock (or at any other time) but from last week I get t a horrible "clunk, clunk, clunk" when reversing slowly on full lock (full lock right that is).

Is this the bump stops thingys that are mentioned in the FAQs or is this something different/more serious?

Haven't whalloped it or anything, so am just hoping it's a matter of greasing something. Any advice?

Cheers in advance
                    do the bump stops, you've nothing to lose, but could be a CV, check the gaiters arn't split and letting junk in. If it only does it in reverse and on full lock it'll probably live for a while yet. Try regreasing them.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                    X