sat nav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sat nav

I am looking to get a satellite navigation system but I haven't got a clue what one to get.or what to look for I don't really want a pda because I don't want wires all over the place any info you guys can provide would be a great help
    TAF

All men make mistakes, but married men find out about them sooner.

Originally posted by TAF
    I am looking to get a satellite navigation system but I haven't got a clue what one to get.or what to look for I don't really want a pda because I don't want wires all over the place any info you guys can provide would be a great help
    Depends what you want it to do. Garmin Roadpilot is very good - avery expensive, TomTom Go is very good too and about £450, you will still need to plug it in to the power, but carefull routing of the wires should keep it all neat.

Don't rule out a PDA one completely, again if you route the wires well you can keep it looking good, just depends what type of mount you use and what type of GPS antenna - you can get bluetooth ones now so no wires to worry about, just the power lead for the PDA. Plus by getting a PDA one, you could then use it off road by just getting some extra software like MemoryMap.

Cheers

Comment

I have a PDA based one but a NavMan one with the PDA sleeve so the only wires I have is the power to the cig lighter, neat and easy to transfer between vehicles.

Not got any experience with the non-pda ones like the Garmin Streetpilot, the advantages of a PDA based solution are that you can easily upgrade maps or even change software completely. I moved from the software that comes with the NavMan (which was good but not great) to the latest TomTom navigator. I also use MemoryMap maps for occasional off-road use.

You can even download additional utilities like details of UK speed cameras and stuff and have the PDA warn you as you approach them.

See my site for details of what I have:
      http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/gps.htm
      Since I wrote this article I have made myself a mount for the navman that is "off road" proof.

If you have not seen it this is a great site for reviews:
      http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/
      It has details of loads of PDA based stuff and dedicated in-car stuff like the Garmin Streetpilot I was on about.
      No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

I have the pioneer AVIC X1 - all in one navigation, cd dvd, radio touch screen display and comes with a free partidge in a pear tree. It fits into a single din slot so you can just put it in place of an existing head unit. when off the screen folds back into the dashboard

i cant reccommend it too much

Regards,

alex

Comment

thanks guys. I now have a bit of a better idea of what to lookfor. I have been looking at the Tom Tom go fore £379 + vat. cj how much did the pioneer set you back and can you change the software and is the face removable as if not someone will soon remove it around this neck of the woods
          Attached Files
          TAF

Comment

I have recently bought the Garmin Quest which is a new one out and alot more competitive than the roadpilot @ £399.

It is a very good unit and the only slight niggle is that it doesn't do postcode search.

Got mine from here http://www.gsdnav.co.uk/

Rich.

If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

My GPS (not off-road tested yet) which I recently put together consists of:

Toshiba Libretto 100CT laptop - £100 off ebay (tiny thing, about the size of a VHS cassette)
              CF based GPS card with PC-Card adaptor - £50 off Ebay
              Memory upgrade for Libretto - £35
              Power inverter to power laptop - £25
              MS MapPoint for maps etc - free with my work supplied MSDN account

It has to be said, that it's not pretty, but it does work. I'm working on creating a mount so the Libretto can sit securely on the cup holder (currently held in place by elastic bands). I can also do all the usual stuff you can do on a laptop too.

I'm on the lookout for some better software. MapPoint provides good road based maps, and provides good route information, but doesn't provide driving directions you can use whilst driving, and has no information on unclassified roads.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

I use a PDA based package on a day to day basis and i swear by it using the tom tom package, now i drive an artic apart from the other day when it sent me on a route which commited me to a 17 ton bridge it has not failed me so dont rule this route out it works.
                Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Hi m8

Get the TOM TOM go.

I use mine daily and do 1000 + miles a week

out off 100 addys maybe 1 it wont find!!

Super easy to use system with free updates .
                  AnDy

Comment

I think I will probable go fore the TOM TOM GO. but I must say the Pioneer AVIC-X1 DVD Navigation AV Headunit is very nice indeed but I would not pay £1500 quid fore it and that's with 25% off but it is still a nice peace of kit
                    TAF

Comment

yes mate it has a removable front fascia and the software is on a dvd so is upgradable

Regards,

alex

Comment

Working...
                      X