Sorry Pete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry Pete

I do love my surf even if the heads cracked,I will repair it soon.The rest of the car is good and I cant fault it, but this weakness in the engine(head) is a bit c**p. I dont wish to p**s to many people off about this its my fault I guess for buying a car thats got a bad history.Maybe low milage is not a good thing after all not in a car this age

Toyota Japan recognised there was a design fault with the 2LTE engine in the early 90's and made some minor design to the water ways within the head to eliminate the known weakness.

From what I read on the Japanese Surf websites it appears that most failures that occurred in Japan during the 90's may have been repaired FOC by Toyota but there was no general recall as it is not a Safety issue as such. Any new replacement head imported from Japan will be of this new design- so avoid at all cost any "reconditioned" parts as they will probably fail again.

The 'phenomena' I think we are seeing now in the UK is all the 2.4L Surfs that never failed in Japan having their 'inevitable' failure. There are many Surf owners in the UK whos cars will already have the new head fitted they will not suffer this fate (pressumbly because it already happened in Japan). There is also a suspicion amongst our forum that many import Surfs already have the cracked head when they arrive in the UK. It is all too easy for someone unscrupulous to do a bodge repair using one of the many brands of 'cylinder head crack repair gunk'. Sure- the repair might last a few weeks or months but it will go eventually. This has been confirmed by a number of owners who have found strange sticky goo in their cooling systems. They flush out the cooling system and then the head mysteriously 'cracks'- but the goo was disguising the fact it was already gone.....

On the face of it sounds like you had a bad deal- but do bear in mind your engine is at least 10 years old (if original) so it probably won't be perfect. Get a new had fitted and enjoy your Surfing!!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingspanner
      I do love my surf even if the heads cracked,I will repair it soon.The rest of the car is good and I cant fault it, but this weakness in the engine(head) is a bit c**p. I dont wish to p**s to many people off about this its my fault I guess for buying a car thats got a bad history.Maybe low milage is not a good thing after all not in a car this age
      Hey, no worries. Hope you get it sorted and have many happy motoring miles in it. I'ts obvious to me now that you were pretty pi**ed off , and understandably so!! When my head went my heart sank, but fortunately I still had warranty from the dealer and they did a good job for me. That was about 15 months ago, and the car has been a dream ever since. I have my own thoughts on the number of vehicles coming over with very low mileages, which I aired on the old forum, and no doubt will come out on here one day (but not today)
      Best of luck, Pete

Comment

Working...
      X