Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips of the trade or bright ideas please

Hello

Plan was to change the glow plugs this morning. However, the little black nuts that screw on to the top of the glow plug have had other ideas. Said little black nuts seem to be made of plastic with a brass insert that screws onto the plug. Two of the brass inserts have decided to part company with the black plastic, leaving me with two nice smooth brass things holding the buzz bar firmly in place.

Any ideas for removing these? I can't think of any way to get a grip onto them to remove them by unscrewing them.

Your top tips would be very welcome.

Thanks, Simon

Originally posted by super8simon
    Hello

Plan was to change the glow plugs this morning. However, the little black nuts that screw on to the top of the glow plug have had other ideas. Said little black nuts seem to be made of plastic with a brass insert that screws onto the plug. Two of the brass inserts have decided to part company with the black plastic, leaving me with two nice smooth brass things holding the buzz bar firmly in place.

Any ideas for removing these? I can't think of any way to get a grip onto them to remove them by unscrewing them.

Thanks, Simon
    long nose vice grips usaly does the trick
    I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
    (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Arn't they just insulators, the 3.0 has little plastic caps to cover the threads to stop them shorting out on things, under them is the nut that holds the bus bar on.

Just get some mole grips on them.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
        Arn't they just insulators, the 3.0 has little plastic caps to cover the threads to stop them shorting out on things, under them is the nut that holds the bus bar on.

Just get some mole grips on them.

Had same trouble when I did mine, thought the same as Tony at first but then as said they are just smooth brass underneath.
        So super glued or araldite can't remember which them back over the brass fittings, job done.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

and plenty of plus-gas...

Even more persuasive than WD40...

andyL

Comment

Originally posted by super8simon
            Hello

Thanks, Simon
            Had exactly the same prob this afternoon. Couldn't get enough grip with long nose pliers and stubbies were too wide to fiit in.
            I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jonah View Post
              Had exactly the same prob this afternoon. Couldn't get enough grip with long nose pliers and stubbies were too wide to fiit in.
              Vince will be along shortly to see if you finally managed to get them off.
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                Vince will be along shortly to see if you finally managed to get them off.
                Lmao
                PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Try tapping a torx or star socket onto them. That should give you a bit of grip on the little buggers.

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Socket-ext...4607%26ps%3D54

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post
                      Try tapping a torx or star socket onto them. That should give you a bit of grip on the little buggers.
                      After 8 years I hope that reply helps
                      Brian

Comment

I was trying out new contact lens' s last night!

Comment

Originally posted by Dobbslc View Post

I was trying out new contact lens' s last night!
                          "Should've gone to Specsavers"

Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                          X