No announcement yet.

Engine Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just bought some cheapie Chevron 10w40 dont remember how much it is a 20L drum and cost around £24 ish.
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Is this a good deal for engine oil ?

And has anyone used fully synthetic oil in there surf yet ?

Comment

That looks a very good price for fully synthetic oil however if you are going to change the oil every 5000km or 3000 miles do you really need such good oil. I beleive the main reason for changing it so often is it gets sooted up in a diesel engine, it's not in there long enough to loose its lubrication properties.
        This being the case I use Tesco or Asda 15W40 diesel oil at £5 for 5 litres.
        [U]Cheers Ian[/U]

Comment

Originally posted by InfraRed
          That looks a very good price for fully synthetic oil however if you are going to change the oil every 5000km or 3000 miles do you really need such good oil. I beleive the main reason for changing it so often is it gets sooted up in a diesel engine, it's not in there long enough to loose its lubrication properties.
          That's been my policy the last two years.

£5 per 5L per 5000Km.

Just change the oil each time odometer hits something divisable by 5000- easy.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
            That's been my policy the last two years.

£5 per 5L per 5000Km.

Just change the oil each time odometer hits something divisable by 5000- easy.

Nevillef
            lookes like my drum of 20L cost aabout 14quid
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by InfraRed
              Just brought the Tesco 15/40 diesel for £2.98 for 5Ltrs. It's either on offer or mispriced, either way i'm going to stock up!.It holds good oil pressure when hot and the oil light doesn't take any longer to go out than with some £20 semi- synth i tried.
              P.S I change oil and filter every 3000 KM or less if i know it's gonna get a thrashing.
              A positive attitude wont solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort!

Comment

I now buy my oil from my brothers garage at £5 for 7.5L His explanation was the same as one of the previous ones. He says the service intervals are so short it's hardly worth putting the top grade synthetics in.

The only diesels he puts the higher grade oils in are the Citroens with 5000 (or is it 10,000?) mile service intervals.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                X