Engine Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Oil?

I went to buy oil for an engine oil change today and the guy in the spares shop looked it up in his book and said the recommended oil (Comma was the make - made by Esso, I believe) was EuroLite 10w-40 semi-synthetic for petrol engines. I put a semi-synthetic turbo-diesel oil in last time, bought from the same outlet. All the Hilux models had the same oil recommended. He told me it was quite common for diesels to have petrol engine oils recommended. Anyone else had this sort of advice? I've used it but I'm a little concerned as I'm taking her on a long journey this weekend with a full load. Can anyone shed light on this for me please?

Not a good idea. You should use quality synthetic diesel oil for turbo's. e.g. Castrol Magnatec D. I'd be wary of driving too far as your likely to burn a lot of oil.
    Mike G

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of manufacturers saying their synthetic oils are good for either petrol or diesel engines. Personally I have stuck to Castrol GTD Magnatec 10w40 (semi-synthetic for diesels) so far like tallyman said. If it was my Surf I wouldn't be running out in the morning to change the oil for a diesel oil though. Just change it next week when you have time. I'm no expert but I doubt you're gonna do any damage over the weekend.

Comment

Still running!

Thanks for thr advice guys. The Surf ran beautifully over the weekend - very smooth indeed. I'll look into this oil thing more carefully now I have time. I might even check with Toyota. The pressure may be a little lower on tickover, but normal when driving. Does the workshop manual I've seen advertised on Milner's site have oil specs etc.? I think I need to get one of those manuals. Surfs aren't the easiest vehicles I've owned to work on are they? All that machinery in such a confined space. The bonnet should be about 2 feet longer!!

I also drained the gearbox oil and replaced it (aprox. 6.5 pints of it anyway) with new Dexron llb grade. I can't believe just how smoothly she shifts gears now. It was definitely worth it.

Mine is a '92 2.4 TD. It was one of those unfortunate ones that blew the head within a month of being imported, just a few miles after a trip down to London from Yorkshire. It seems fine now, nearly a year later. It's the best all round vehicle I've had. It tows 3 tons with ease, even up rough tracks into fields, takes five adults in comfort at 80 on the motorway, holds loads in the back and is way way the best car to drive in cities when I go to one. Even black cabs swerve to get out of the way! They're a bit of a luxury, but hey! Life is all too short!! You have to enjoy it while you can!

Comment

Originally posted by chrislettol
          Thanks for thr advice guys. The Surf ran beautifully over the weekend - very smooth indeed. I'll look into this oil thing more carefully now I have time. I might even check with Toyota. The pressure may be a little lower on tickover, but normal when driving.
          You will find lower pressure with new oil, it's thin so it gets round the engine easier but the downside until you get used to it is lower pressure on tickover. Don't worry about it, the oil getting round the engine easier is far more important.

I don't think the manual actually has oil specs in it.

Also there is a thread on here about using low ash oils in Japanese engines - I think BP Vanellus is mentioned.

Personally I use Castrol GTD Magnatec for mine.

Cheers

Comment

I have used Eurolite for over 10 years in allsorts and I like it.
            Many oils are a rip off and come from the same plant, just like all fuels come from the same storage station.
            Sometimes it does not pay to use too fancy an oil as they tend to have different grades. The larger the gap between the numbers, the more likeley the molecular chain is to break,causing less lubrication.
            If you look at the spec. A.P.I number, it is still the highest grade.

Sean

Comment

don't worry about the oil, oil for diesel engines has more detergent properties than oil for petrol, 1 oil change using petrol designated oil is hardly likely to make any difference.
              [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

I used an ordianary 10W-40 oil last winter with no ill effects, as far as I know. Like the original post, I noticed that the oil pressure was a little slow to rise, even near to the next service interval.

Now I just use the cheapest recommended for diesel engines. Whatever the motor factors has on special will do me (I'm not tight-squeek squeek).
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

@ the w/end I changed the oil and filter again, getting quite slick @ it and it does make me feel better!. Also greased everything there is to grease and lube. Then Mt'd the coolant and flushed out the old coolant that I had replaced last year (just in case). Being paranoid or curious I measured out how much came out. About 10.5 ltrs, the recommended capacity that a 3.0ltr cooling system will take. But on filling up with 50/50 mixtured I'm am bu**ered if I can get 10.5ltrs back in again, I can manage about 6ltrs but then it tops out. I have done all pipe squeezing and blowing, (and sucking?). Do I continue to do this through the week, or is there an alternative. I must have managed it last time but have forgotten...... Any clues?

Comment

Originally posted by marticogo
                    @ the w/end I changed the oil and filter again, getting quite slick @ it and it does make me feel better!. Also greased everything there is to grease and lube. Then Mt'd the coolant and flushed out the old coolant that I had replaced last year (just in case). Being paranoid or curious I measured out how much came out. About 10.5 ltrs, the recommended capacity that a 3.0ltr cooling system will take. But on filling up with 50/50 mixtured I'm am bu**ered if I can get 10.5ltrs back in again, I can manage about 6ltrs but then it tops out. I have done all pipe squeezing and blowing, (and sucking?). Do I continue to do this through the week, or is there an alternative. I must have managed it last time but have forgotten...... Any clues?
                    wait for thermostat to open?
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Thanx for the answer, But how long do I have to wait for the thermostat to open and when do I know that it is open ? .

Comment

Originally posted by marticogo
                        Thanx for the answer, But how long do I have to wait for the thermostat to open and when do I know that it is open ? .
                        You will know the thermostat is open when you start getting hot air coming through the heater.

The best thing to do though is to remove the thermostat, top up the engine blocok through the thermostat, replace the thermostat, top up on top of the thermostat - that will make sure the rad is full, start the car, run for 15 minutes with the rad cap off, squeeze the hoses a lot (particularly the heater hoses - make sure the heater(s) are set to hot).

Hopefully that will make sure that all is OK and you got a full cooling system.

Cheers

Comment

Thanx 'Lucky' . Now it makes sense . Bit slow with basics of cars sometimes...
                          Cheers, will try and resolve this weekend. One day I will sort avatar and smileys 'nn' stuff 'n' that.

Comment

Originally posted by chrislettol
                            I went to buy oil for an engine oil change today and the guy in the spares shop looked it up in his book and said the recommended oil (Comma was the make - made by Esso, I believe) was EuroLite 10w-40 semi-synthetic for petrol engines. I put a semi-synthetic turbo-diesel oil in last time, bought from the same outlet. All the Hilux models had the same oil recommended. He told me it was quite common for diesels to have petrol engine oils recommended. Anyone else had this sort of advice? I've used it but I'm a little concerned as I'm taking her on a long journey this weekend with a full load. Can anyone shed light on this for me please?
                            i used to deliver bulk oil to main dealers and they never have specific diesel oil.if gtx magnatec is good enough for a mitsubishi shogun then its good enough for me.

p.s
                            i`ll have to pay for it when my stocks have gone,hehehehe

Comment

To be honest when I worked in a garage, we used the same oil for everything - Comma 20W 50.

However Diesel oil should have more detergent properties. Therfore I always use proper Diesel oil in mine.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X