Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN/MOT question

Hi there

Took my Surf for its MOT yesterday and suprise, suprise it failed but not on what i thought it would. A couple of minor things really - I know there are a lot of threads on the lack of VIN plates on Surfs but the AA are refusing to MOT the surf without one. The plate on the bulkhead/firewall is missing(??) and the number under the front wheel arch on the chassis rail reads 4273 and thats it.
    I thought the model/chassis number should have been stamped there? The woman I spoke to at the AA said that the above mentioned number would not suffice, so has anybody got any ideas? I need to get this sorted ASAP cos I use the Surf for getting to and from work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Bruce

Also would anybody know how i get hold of a new plate for the firewall. Spoke to the DVLA and they said no probs just get a manufactorer (sp) to make a new one up. Not quite sure this is sound advice, doesnt seem to ring true for some reason

Cheers
    Last edited by Bruce; 8 October 2004, 11:53.
    [b]Ask a stupid question, someone else is thinking

try getting an MOT at another garage? I have a vin plate, but noones ever looked for it whilst MOT'ing it.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
      Hi there

Took my Surf for its MOT yesterday and suprise, suprise it failed but not on what i thought it would. A couple of minor things really - I know there are a lot of threads on the lack of VIN plates on Surfs but the AA are refusing to MOT the surf without one. The plate on the bulkhead/firewall is missing(??) and the number under the front wheel arch on the chassis rail reads 4273 and thats it.
      I thought the model/chassis number should have been stamped there? The woman I spoke to at the AA said that the above mentioned number would not suffice, so has anybody got any ideas? I need to get this sorted ASAP cos I use the Surf for getting to and from work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Bruce
      Bruce.

My lats MOT was using the stamped on number on the chassis under the drivers side front wheelarch. My VIN plate had fallen off and I hadn't yet riveted it back on (done it now). No problem with using the number on the chassis. Change the Garage.

Cheers

Also would anybody know how i get hold of a new plate for the firewall. Spoke to the DVLA and they said no probs just get a manufactorer (sp) to make a new one up. Not quite sure this is sound advice, doesnt seem to ring true for some reason

Cheers

Comment

Cheers Linda & Andy

I will get some photos tomorrow as the only stamp i can find under the wheel arch is 4723 which doesnt seem to mean a lot.

Thanks again

Bruce

Comment

vin plates

Hi Bruce
          Look in the back pages of the Auto trader you will find that
          you can purchace one there.
          Saying that,my truck does not have one all the chassis no.
          is stampped into the bulk head?
          hope that helps Chris
          GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Beautiful - cheers Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Might be a stupid question but i cant seem to find any ads for new VIN plates, or should i be calling up a breaker and asking for the plate from a similiar Surf?

To be honest I dont know what info should be on it, is there anything that is specific to the car. I know they dont have VINs like UK spec cars - is it just the chassis number etc?

If anyone can help, i would appreciate it

Cheers

Bruce

- does anyone have a photo of the VIN plate knocking around so i have an idea of what should be on it?
              Last edited by Bruce; 11 October 2004, 21:09.

Comment

Whats on your old MOT?, just copy that.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I tried that but the AA werent having it - said that it was not sufficient. It has only got the four digit number on it. Also the same number is on the log book so thats how it would be identified (or how i would do it anyway)

Is it just AA being too picky, try somewhere else maybe?

Comment

if thats on your chassi rail, and log book, and old MOT, that should be enough! there is no law about how you VIN should look, just as long as all the numbers match.

My old beach buggy had it painted on the dash in hammerite, never had any trouble.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Vin

Hi even better try and go to the last garage that M.O.T.d it they done it once they will do it again.
                      Live Life To The Full

Comment

Cheers Tony

B(*&^er the AA, Ill go somewhere else next week and get it done

Hilux - the garage that did it has gone bust but to be honest with you i think they just stamped the paper and gave it to the dealer i bought it from. They classified it as a petrol engine! Even I could tell the difference between the deisel and a petrol engine

Thanks again for the help
                        Last edited by Bruce; 11 October 2004, 21:21.

Comment

Working...
                        X