Swinging spare wheel carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swinging spare wheel carrier

I reckon I've found a UK supplier (on my doorstep) for the above. I have a pictorial bom (bill of materials) in front of me which details the parts. I could do with seeing pics of the fitted item before I buy cos there's a 4 day delivery and would like to get all that I need all together.

This bom shows the bar (an 'A' on its side), the trim covers for the hinges, the nuts and key for fitting wheel to carrier, another bracket which appears to fit to the door itself, and a cable release system.

Can anyone help, cos if I can work this out it could solve many peeps problems. I can do it step by step with photos. PM me if you can, ta.

Dave.

Please somebody answer this guy - I dread the day my Surf gets a flat if my wife's in it without me. If a swing out rear carrier could be got at reasonable cost, I would definitely buy one.

Mark
    :

Comment

Thanks m8, should benefit lots of us, like you my spare is at home.

I will know more about cost later today, but the main 'A' is 82 quid delivered. Just need some help with the brackets as said earlier.

Dave.

Comment

OK , I'll give a go at an answer from wot I have read on here before . People who have fitted a rear swing carrier to the rear door have used one off a Surf that has had it removed . It seems that the carrier mounts to the body through the osr 'D' post but the post has to be reinforced from the inside . The number plate has to be repositioned aswell as number plate lamps .

If this 'kit' you are talking about is an after market kit then I do not know the answer you want as it all depends how it mounts as most 4x4 vehicle have a rear door that opens not a tailgate that drops or lifts up .

Rick
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Some of the aftermarket ones are attached to the chassis - we need more info!
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

It's specifically for a Surf, and I know about the D post end, reinforcement is required. It's the cable and the dropping rear door bracket that I need to know about, thanx.
            Dave.

edit
            Anyone who can help with info, and needs to see this bom, I can fax it, I wish I had scanned it last nite at home.
            Last edited by Briles; 6 October 2004, 08:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Briles
              like you my spare is at home.

Dave.
              Do you not have the underbody mount for the spare then ? No need to leave spare at home .

Rick
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

The bracket that attaches to the rear door is the retaining catch. The frameswings into it and there is a latch (similar to a car door) that holds the frame against the door. The cable just releases the frame so you can open the rear door.
                If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

LPG tank under there m8.
                  Thanks
                  Dave.

Comment

Thanks Rich, sounds right to me. Looks like I need all that's shown.
                    Dave.

Comment

Hi Dave,
                      I would be really interested in getting the rear wheel carrier also, any chance you can send me some info on it,
                      Cheers Chris
                      P.s. I found one firm but they were based in OZ/France and wanted 1000 quid for it!!!!

Comment

Strewth Chris, perhaps we should go into business selling these, lol. I will get the price later today, place the order, take delivery next week, than fit it, take pics, then work out how to post 'em on here.
                        Dave.

Comment

Briles,

I've sent you a PM with my fax number - send me a copy of the BOM if you can.

Be prepared for a lot of interest in this product if it's viable.

Mark
                          :

Comment

On its way m8

Comment

I have just had a conversation with Dave regarding the "spare wheel" issue I have done this so I will post some pics tonight when I get home
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by rusty; 6 October 2004, 16:58.
                              NO WORRIES!
                              Rusty

Comment

Working...
                              X