true or false??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• true or false??

someone told me not to fit spots to the front of my 2.4,(to fit a roof bar instead) as they will restrict air flow thro' the rad and lead to overheat and head problems.

True or false please gurus????
    .......because I can....OK!
    2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Originally posted by Paul Savage
    someone told me not to fit spots to the front of my 2.4,(to fit a roof bar instead) as they will restrict air flow thro' the rad and lead to overheat and head problems.

partly true...
    bit of common sense not to put HUGE ones on cos that will... but as long as there's sufficiant airflow through the grill then you should have no problem!...
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I have a decent sized pair of lamps on the front of mine and never had a problem but I am no guru, maybe best to air on the side of caution.

Comment

hi paul have two sets of 8in fogs on my bullbars been on there for 2yrs no probs

Comment

why not have both spots and a roof bar, what sort of bars do u have I have a small A bar spots dont get in way at all
          Attached Files
          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I think my fog lights and the big squarish number plate contributed to my overheating when towing up hill. Since then, when I know I'm towing a long way I take off the spots and put a long styandard number plate on. That cured the problem (as well as the new ATF oil cooler).
            Mike G

Comment

does having the spots on the roof make much noise - whistle etc??? Just wondering because even my roofrack makes a racket (lol).
              Tim
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Unproven IMHO, but piece of mind is worth a lot for the average 2.4 owner.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
                  does having the spots on the roof make much noise - whistle etc??? Just wondering because even my roofrack makes a racket (lol).
                  Tim
                  Yes u do get some whistling from the bar, but u can only hear it with sunroof open, if u turn up CD player whistling goes, not sure how this works but it does
                  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Urmmmmmmm
                    didn't have them or the bar on when the head went but have for the year since
                    Attached Files
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

interesting comments chaps. Thank you.

Cant stick them on the roof - need space for the surf board!!

Might try to sling them low so they are below bumper level as I dont do much off roading.
                      2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Comment

Originally posted by ohsupremebeing
                        why not have both spots and a roof bar, what sort of bars do u have I have a small A bar spots dont get in way at all

hi pal.

what size are your spots?
                        Have you base mounted them into the a bar?
                        I have the same bar as you - but for some reason think it comes up the car higher??
                        2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Comment

hi pal.

what size are your spots?
                          Have you base mounted them into the a bar?
                          I have the same bar as you - but for some reason think it comes up the car higher??

I've got 2 pairs Fog/Spots - big rectangular ones!!
                          never had a problem with airflow. pulled trailer with Pete's landy lightweight on ('bout 2.2 tonne) No worries
                          NO WORRIES!
                          Rusty

Comment

You won't be able to use roofbar mounted spots on the road as they are too high - limit is 1 metre.

You could always get small projector types for the front, they give just as good light and will not really cause any problems with airflow. Just don't look as funky. You could then fit a roof bar for lights when off road.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                              You won't be able to use roofbar mounted spots on the road as they are too high - limit is 1 metre.

You could always get small projector types for the front, they give just as good light and will not really cause any problems with airflow. Just don't look as funky. You could then fit a roof bar for lights when off road.

Cheers

You can have them on the roof but the must be on a seperate switch even if they are activated by the main beam. You have to be able to turn them off. Legally you can use them off road (doesn't stop HGV's having them and using them on the road though!!)
                              NO WORRIES!
                              Rusty

Comment

Working...
                              X