Let loose in Dublin...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let loose in Dublin...

Tom told me today he has booked a trip for my birthday to Dublin. Arriving Friday morning 26th Nov and coming home Monday night 29th Nov.

We aren't driving over, too much drinking will be going on for that, but would like some suggestions from any Dublin posse for cool places to visit. For places, read BARS..!!

Soooooo looking forward to it, never been but wanted to for ages..
    Had enough... going to live in Spain....

The Temple Bar area just south of the Liffey in the area between Capel Street Bridge and O'Connell Bridge is supposed to be the place to go for a day/night on the rip.

Then theres lots of good ordinary old pubs with lots of history like The Brazen Head, O'Neills on Suffolk St, O'Donohoes on Merrion Row

and north of the river you've got as many again I just cant think of them - was in The Arlington Hotel a few months ago, its just beside O'Connell Bridge and at 6 o'clock in the evening there was a great band playing

Dont forget you cant smoke in the pubs anymore if youre prone to it!

I'm no expert - I live outside the City and dont really get the chance to go in.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
      The Temple Bar area just south of the Liffey in the area between Capel Street Bridge and O'Connell Bridge is supposed to be the place to go for a day/night on the rip.

Then theres lots of good ordinary old pubs with lots of history like The Brazen Head, O'Neills on Suffolk St, O'Donohoes on Merrion Row

and north of the river you've got as many again I just cant think of them - was in The Arlington Hotel a few months ago, its just beside O'Connell Bridge and at 6 o'clock in the evening there was a great band playing

I'm no expert - I live outside the City and dont really get the chance to go in.

Head for the Temple Bar....it cost us approx 25-30 Euros to get to our B&B/Hotel on Copper Alley by taxi which was just round the corner from the main street.

The Arlington is good, if you walk down by the liffey then you'll get live music or try Fitzsimons or fitzsimmons...down on the main bar street area.

Basically there is one main stretch which has loads of bars and a "nightclub" type room downstairs.

Theres also a nice restaurant near the square if you walk down the main street. we stayed at one of the hotels/B&B on Copper Alley..I think thats the area anyway..

PS> Forget the time...youll just slouch and let time go by!...av a good un
      Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by JimL

I was in tha Arlington Hotel a couple of years ago, great place to go and they had 2 hen nights going so loads of drunken women about.

Also try O'sheas bar, they have music every night http://www.osheashotel.com/merchant/home.html , and you have to visit the Guinness factory.

Comment

GOt any room in the back, JimL's got a couple little items for me!
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
            GOt any room in the back, JimL's got a couple little items for me!
            Look's like they are flying, so you might have to ask the pilot.

Comment

Guess it's my place to be the harbinger of doom.

The only people you'll find in Temple Bar are tourists and Dublin thugs skulking around waiting to mug & hospitalise tourists.

If you must try it out (and there are some very cool pubs there), stay out of alleyways & unlit areas, and try not to stand out as a tourist.

I, and my friends, even those who live in/around city centre, rarely go anywhere near Dublin city for a drink.

Don't believe me?

http://su.netsoc.tcd.ie/modules.php?...article&sid=84

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1004/dublin.html

Sorry to put a bummer on your trip, but at least this might make you more aware of your situation when you come over.

I hope you have a good time and stay safe.

Mark
              :

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

We are staying at the Best Western Ashling. I'm sure we'll have a good time. I guess there's an element grief in any city, I've been all over the world and you just got to be sensible about where and when you go out.

Won't let it put us off...

PS Tony, I don't think the flight baggage allowance is up for your spare parts..!! nice try though..
                Had enough... going to live in Spain....

Comment

Originally posted by Helen
                  Thanks for all your replies.

We are staying at the Best Western Ashling. I'm sure we'll have a good time. I guess there's an element grief in any city, I've been all over the world and you just got to be sensible about where and when you go out.

Won't let it put us off...

PS Tony, I don't think the flight baggage allowance is up for your spare parts..!! nice try though..
                  I used to love going into the Horseshoe Bar at the Shelbourne on Stevens Green (hand for the shopping).

Also my wife went on the DUKW Viking tour up the Liffey and she thought it was a great Craic.

Cheers

Comment

Something close to my heart, but something that I honestly think is well worth a visit, is the guiness brewery. Even if you dont do the tour, have a drink in the bar right at the top of the building and you will get a fantastic pint of guiness and a beautifull view to boot.

I also would probably stay away from temple bar area if you want "real dublin" its the ibiza of dublin in my opinion and not really worth going there as there are so many more places that are better to see.

If you can afford it, its also sposed to be recommended to eat in Bono's kitchen food is sposed to be amazing, althought thats not from personal experience.

Have a good time.
                    CM
                    2 Tone Mud Master!
                    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

nearly had a worry for you then!... i'm going to dublin on 29th OCTober!!..

staying at the Radisson SAS Hotel St helens Stillorgan... wherever that is!

i shall report back on the places i get drunk so you'll know not to go to them!
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

One downer so to speak was the St Peters Green Shopping Mall..after reading about it I was expecting this really huge place.....its more higher than large footage...based over 3 flights if I remember correctly and consists of little shops than large ones and watch for shirt sizes.....tried to get a shirt for me (44" chest ) and a couple of the shops didn't cater for it!...designer crap!
                        Gaz

Comment

Working...
                        X