X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steadi
    Hi Again

Just going back to Andy's post

I'm using BHP as a reference, not concerned about going 90+, to be honest I'm now after a truck that will keep my motorway speed down as my old sports car has a ludicrous top speed.

I did test drive a 3l non intercooled and it was very disappointing... great acceleration from a standing start...... until it hit about 10mph, then everything turned into slow motion. Basically there was nothing there, pedal to metal and the truck only slooooowly climbed up to 50.

Maybe the dealer left the rig in 4wd, although I dont think the Transmission would have survived my lead foot test on tarmac from what I've been reading.

Just feel I dont want a truck that feels that underpowered or struggles to overtake on the motorway. hence my hunt for an intercooled one.

Theres talk of fitting intercoolers in front of the rad with a claimed 30% increase in torque and BHP. even taking this with a pinch of salt it seems worth looking into as the Toyota factory intercooler only seems to add an extra 7 BHP which is about 5%.

Unfortunately missed out on the tastey surf that was selling locally, wish I'd known about the add on intercoolers last week, I'd be a surf rider by now!

Mike

What ever 3.0 you drove there was something wrong with it, go drive another one.
    The 3.0 goes well, at motorway speeds its more than capable and overtakes well at them speeds. Really sounds like the 3.0 you drove was not up to scratch.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Agree with Nigel. My 3.0L is great on the M-way, keeping up 80+ no problem (except for the quickly disappear diesel) and out accelerates my wife's Polo 1.3 which is half the weight. Only time I have any real problems overtaking or accelerating quickly is when I've got 1350kgs of caravan on the back, but even then it keeps to the legal limits without much problem.

I'd definitely try another 3.0L to see what they can really do as the other must have had a problem.
      Mike G

Comment

does any one know of any (cheap way) to increase the bhp of my 2.4ssrg 92 as i pull a large twin axle caravan and it feels like i should get out & push at times also it seems to drop a gear as soon as it sees the slightest incline is this right

Comment

Get a V6
          Johnny

Comment

Turn the ECT on, this will increase the rev's used in each gear and reduce the amount of change downs.

Rich.

Originally posted by the driver
            does any one know of any (cheap way) to increase the bhp of my 2.4ssrg 92 as i pull a large twin axle caravan and it feels like i should get out & push at times also it seems to drop a gear as soon as it sees the slightest incline is this right
            If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Thanks Rich but tried ect on last weekend made no difference. It changes down on asmall climb at about 58-60mph & revs to about 4k sounds like its ready to blow,will not go back into top until over 60mph on the level & i can back off the pedal a little

Comment

Working...
              X