Temporarily run FWD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporarily run FWD?

The past week or so I've been getting a vibration through the drivetrain when running at certain speeds. Looking things over today I've found there is a lot of play in the UJs on the proshaft - about 2-3mm worth. So I've ordered some new UJs from Roughtrax. But until they turn up I was wondering if I could remove the propshaft temporarily and run the Surf in FWD by engaging 4WD? I do about 65 miles a day, mostly motorway.

Would this be OK/safe?
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Not sure buy I think the 3lt does not lock up on hard road like the 2.4, I may well be wrong so don't just take my word, have you pumped grease in the old UJ's? might keep it going if you drive more slowly, thinking about it driving in 4wd wont take the load off the joints much will it?
    you don't want it coming apart on the motorway, I had one go on a transit van once, late for work (live in Havant and working for William Press in So 'ton)
    ragging the nuts off it and BANG, the arse end shot up and I was lucky not to flip it, saw the prop shaft rolling along behind me in the mirror along with a trail of oil, the gearbox end UJ had shattered taking the gearbox tail pipe and some casing with it, real wet ass moment,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I'm talking about removing the propshaft from the vehicle. So if it isn't there then there will be no load on the UJs, and no chance of it flying off.

The 3ltr has the same restrictions for 4wd use as the 2.4, i.e. don't do it on hard surfaces. But that's not an issue if there is no propshaft. My concern is that the front diff might not hold up as it's not intended for full-time use.

Unfortunately the UJs that are fitted have the grease points in a place that makes it virtually impossible to get to them whilst it's all connected up.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Yep you can. I had to drive from Glen Lyon to Perth using 4 wheel drive and the rear propshalft removed after the AA sent a power lift instead of a tilt and slide recovery truck.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Forgot to add make sure you mark the propshalft and UKs position as they will not be in the same position after driving.
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
          X