Request to be nosey with someone's surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request to be nosey with someone's surf

Is there anyone near Camberley/Woking in surrey? If there is would anyone be so kind as to let me have a poke around their truck? Mainly to see if my truck is making odd noises that it shouldn't do and secondly I've found a load of stuff that's been messed with in the engine bay and want to find out where it all lives and what's been put back together wrong.
    It can be done for some beer tokens if that helps
    Oh and it needs to be a 2nd gen 3l
    Cheers all

I'm in Havant (near Portsmouth) so not on your doorstep but if you happen to be down this way your welcome to root about in mine, failing that stick a load of pics of the stuff you want to know about and someone will doubtless be able to help, as for noises, what exactly and where from? these old trucks do make some odd noises though, unless it sounds real serious I wouldn't worry too much,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

That's awesome dude I really appreciate it, I'll try sort some free time out and give you a shout if that's alright.
      As for the noise when the truck comes on boost it sounds like an almighty whoosh from right behind the dash, I've had a quick look and it looks like somethings been done to the egr assembly as it's not sitting snug to the back of the block.
      I can't remember if the truck has been like that since I bought it or not, but from memory when I first got it it had a load of turbo whistle which is normal but not the sound of a huge boost leak haha.

Comment

No worries Tom, anytime mate, as for the noise is the EGR pipe at the back loose? any movement, certainly sounds like something's come adrift or that did something drastic with the dump valve, over washered it or summat, think I put a 2mm washer in there,
        I removed all the EGR crap apart from the electronics in case it affected the computer, if you remove it and fit blanking plates don't forget to blank off the small vacuum pipe, They used to do what they called "the EGR modification kit" on ebay, consisted of a ball bearing which you stuck up the vac pipe, only cost a tenner! ahah I just bent the pipe over and stuck a cable tie on, cost nowt

Comment

Originally posted by ThatGuy View Post
          Oh and it needs to be a 2nd gen 3l
          Cheers all
          Ian,did ya not see this ?

16+ Years of Surfs n 9 years on Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my KZN 130 Yota !!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

I don't think the egr pipe is loose atall but I'm going to take it all apart tomorrow evening and blank it if it hasn't been done already. As for the vacuum line is it the one on the "ufo" closest to the bulkhead?
            I for the life of me can't remember what the "ufo" is actually called hahahaha :p

Comment

No Jess missed that bit still there may be some bits common to both that might help Tom, don't know what the vac part of the EGR looks like on a 3lt, on the 2.4 the whole electric/vac is on a bracket that bolts on to the inlet manifold, there's a vac pipe that come from it and that's the one I blocked off, I/m guessing it will be the one you think it is near the bulkhead, anyway it is a good thing to get rid of the EGR altogether, not sure how or if the electric side of it affects the fueling tho so left it connected,
              perhaps some one will have an idea what the sucking noise is "Nev" where are you?

Comment

I managed to find the problem this evening which was a big relief. It turns out one of the previous owners did the egr mod but didn't out it all back together properly, ao the inlet side of it the nuts were bearly hand tight causing a mahoosive boost leak.
                It's now all put back together properly and the truck drives better than ever, not only is it a millions times quieter than it was (well as quiet as a surf can be) it's got alot more poke so it actually feels like the 140bhp it's claimed to be haha :p

Comment

Glad you found the problem mate

Comment

Working...
                  X