Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 3 KZN185 Called 'Blue Mist'

Good morning,

First post and I wanted to start by saying this forum has been an excellent source of information, thanks to all the contributing members for their time. Your posts helped me in purchasing my first Hilux Surf. She is a 1996 Blue Gen 3 import KZN185.

After seeing a Surf around 8 years ago and thinking what a beautiful looking machine that is, I finally managed to find a fairly clean one.

Having only limited knowledge about them, I wanted to start with getting the basics covered. This maybe a long shot but is there anyone out there preferably close (West Yorkshire) who can give the Surf a "once over?" - I will pay for your time if you prefer.
    Nothing as of yet has been changed, Iv'e only topped up the levels with genuine Toyota Oil (10w 40) and Coolant (pre mixed red).

I could just take her to the numerous local garages but after having bad experiences in the past, I'd prefer she was seen by an enthusiast as only we know how much we love these machines!

Seems like I'm unable to upload photos, maybe this thread needs moderating first? anyways apologies for the long post, here's a link to some photos https://goo.gl/1mVCK1 .

Regards

:-)
    96' Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 - Called 'Blue Mist'

Firstly welcome your right about garages, I've yet to come across a truly honest one, I have the old 2nd gen 2.4 grunter so know little about the 3rd gens other than they are a great improvement on the 2nd's, A lot of it's really common sense especially if you don't know the trucks history, complete fluids change and flush for a start, a real good flushing on the coolant side is top priority, oils and greasing up everywhere, if it's a bit sluggish add a pint of ATF to the fuel tank on each fill up, it's a good cleaner and got my old chugger off it's arse,
    it's a pity this site is so slow, used to be proper lively but thanks to facebook and some squabbles it reduced to this painfully slow version, I am sure others will be along with good advice and most of em have 3rd gens so will know a lot more than me about them, add some pictures always nice to see other trucks

Ah! just saw it, you can add pics from you PC by clicking the "manage attachments" box below you post and upload from the options there, or from a photo hosting site like photobucket, you link's not working btw, persevere and it's be fine
    Last edited by POPEYE; 14 July 2017, 19:26.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
      Ah! just saw it, you can add pics from you PC by clicking the "manage attachments" box below you post and upload from the options there, or from a photo hosting site like photobucket, you link's not working btw, persevere and it's be fine
      don't try to use Photobucket as they have stopped people hot limking to thier own photo's recently and want big bucks for the ability now

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
        don't try to use Photobucket as they have stopped people hot limking to thier own photo's recently and want big bucks for the ability now
        Ah right, not used them for ages and they were a pain then,
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

As said by others keep the cooling system clean and topped up, fluids and grease. Use the 4wd system or it will start giving trouble just need to engage it on the button maybe once a month to keep it working as it should. Apart from that regular oil changes and servicing, keep the underside and chassis clean and it will go on for ever! the american forums are good for mods if thats your thing, what are your plans for it? Mine was to keep it standard but then...
          Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

First thing I did with mine was to change ALL fluids. Oil, coolant, transfer case oil, rear diff oil. Check if rear diff is LSD, should have a sticker on it, and use the correct oil for LSD. Grease all the various points on the prop. Any doubts about timing belt, then change it, its not hard. Make sure to do tensioner as well, and probably worth doing water pump too. Make sure viscous fan works properly, thats probably the best thing you can do to ensure adequate cooling. Drop the ATF sump contents. (4.5 litres) and refill. If it looks burnt and shitty, do it again after a few hundred miles. You are right about it being a beautiful vehicle. Last week we were out and daughter had my surf, she was behind me and I couldnt stop looking in the mirror and thinking just that, and Ive had my Surf forever.
            Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
            X