Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowered Surf?

Hi all
    Finally got my 1994 3ltr ssrx ltd last weekend Looks fantastic in dark metallic blue over silver.
    However !!!! It rides like a soapbox on wheels, dare to go over a speed hump at anything over 15 mph and I leave my seat.
    Got 1st chance to look underneath it this weekend and find what look like quite new (but short ) springs and fairly new ES9000 shockers. After looking through a few posts on the forum I checked the distance between the centre of the wheel and the wheel arch and found this to be 17" instead of the 22" that it apparently should be.
    As the springs look pretty new it seems as if the car may have been deliberately lowered.Question is, if I fit standard springs will the shockers still be ok.
    The tyres are 275x70x16 and are just rubbing the inside of the wheelarch at times, will the standard springs prevent this or are the tyres just too big.
    Tyre pressures were at 33psi but I have lowered them to 27psi which has improved things only slightly.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

You need to measure the open lenght of the shocks to see how far they will stretch. I'll measure our normal ones for you tomorrow.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

don't the japanese have lo-lux clubs?
      i'm sure i've seen something about that somewhere.
      black 1995 ssrx 3.0ltd

Comment

have you seen any pics of them... lowered and body kitted??? Some cars YES - Surfs NO!
        Makes me cry
        like this infact!!! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...491029893&rd=1
        Last edited by dirtydog; 27 September 2004, 00:07.
        Tim
        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Some fool lowered mine in Japan too, they had to go!

I would be surprised if they got lowered es9000's, not really their scene I would have thought.

Here was mine lowered and the length of the springs.

Rich.

a bit different now!
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Mine is lowered - it doesn't look too bad, I think the torsion bars have just been wound down so the rear still sits quite high. It's pretty useful for getting under low barriers sometimes but I have almost no ground clearance and have actually scraped the air con rad on a moderately high curb!

The rear wheels are wider than the fronts too - they have 275/60R15s on.

I have the same problem with a very harsh ride which I'm hoping to get looked into as soon as I've got some cash.

Any suggestions where to start looking?

Comment

ES 9000 shocks should be ok as we can buy them as replacements to the OEM ones wind the Torsion bars up on the Front end & replace rear coil springs http://www.explorerprocomp.co.uk/
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

I put new es3000s on all round as the front used to bounce for about 5 seconds after hitting a bump when I first got it. I heard they were a bit softer than the 9000s.

First step is to try and get the torsion bars wound back up a bit but I'm wondering if there's any other steering / suspension components that are known to cause a harsh ride when knackered.

Comment

Originally posted by jmc
                  The rear wheels are wider than the fronts too - they have 275/60R15s on.
                  On our Zook we reversed the rear wheels and not the fronts driving though lots of mud was fun 'cos when you steer the back end goes everywhere!!! Very fun
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Thanks for the replys, the bit about the body kit did the trick, yes mine has the same front spoiler as the one for sale on e-bay looks like it must have been the lowlux surf club at work. Anyway i'll soon sort that out, not too concerned about the front spoiler but the rear definately needs lifting and also softening as I do a lot of towing (caravan) and I don't think the solid suspension will do much for the A frame they have been known to crack when being towed by cartspring vehicles.
                    I'll have a look on e-bay for some standard springs with all these surfers having 2" lift springs fitted there must be hundreds of standard springs laying about in garages all over the country HINT HINT.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
                      I'll have a look on e-bay for some standard springs with all these surfers having 2" lift springs fitted there must be hundreds of standard springs laying about in garages all over the country HINT HINT.
                      For the likely condition of the originals for sale on ebay and the price of the uprated ones I would buy new, especially if you are towing a 'van.

Also when the Torsion Bars are set normally there is not alot of clearance to the bump stops so you can be sure that it is hitting them (Mine were).

Rich.
                      Last edited by rich; 27 September 2004, 17:45.
                      If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Be careful as the SURF can suffer from rear end sag due to worn springs.
                        So you dont want to buy a set of used springs really.
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

Point taken about the used springs but I spent far more than I intended on the surf and still need £350 for a CAT1 alarm and £100ish for a towbar, looks like the plastics going to take a battering.
                          Yes the suspension is definately hitting the stops on a regular basis also tonight on a country lane I hit a dip and the mudflaps hit the road.
                          Just measured the height of the front wheels and they are 19" from centre to wheelarch.

Paul

Comment

How long have you owned it & did you by it off a stealer woops i mean dealer
                            (\__/)
                            (")_(")

Comment

Yes bought it from a dealer (Beeches motors at Keighley Yorks) but I dont intend complaining as I may need to complain about something more serious in the next 3 months and I don't want to seem a serial moaner.
                              Only had it for 7 days, apart from the ride its taste of luxury compared to my Frontera which is now on e-bay.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X