X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen steel wheel rim/used wheel rim suggestions please

Hello,

New here

I would like to replace the wheel rims on our 3rd gen '96 surf but I'm confused by the sizes available - the originals were removed by the previous owner and they also removed the wheel carrier, so there is no spare wheel either.....As the surf needs new tyres, I thought it best to start again with 5 new wheel rims & tyres (currently it has some 19" flaking alloys)

After reading on here it seems the originals were 16x7 with a -7 offset to go with 265/70 r16 tyres

I can only find aftermarket steel rims 16x8 or 16x7 with a 0 offset or positive offsets.

I did find some black ones that are 16x8 with a -7 offset

I'm wondering what would be best

All suggestions for tyres are also welcome

I can only afford one set of steel wheel rims at the moment, so the tyres need to be more of an all rounder to start with.

I saw some used sets of toyota alloys on ebay, but sadly nowhere nearby

Thanks in advance
    paw-by-four

Landcruiser colorado wheels will fit in fact they were fitted to later gen3 4runners. zero off set will make them stick out more and bring the wheels further out to fill the arches, I have some 16x8 alloys the offset is +5 on my gen3, any pics of your existing wheels?

Standard gen3 wheels 16x7 et15
    8x16 et-7 will stick out 35mm further than standard
    8x16 et 0 will stick out 28mm further than standard
    7x16 et 0 will stick out 15mm further than standard
    7x16 et-7 will stick out 22mm further than standard
    Last edited by The Boo Crew; 6 April 2017, 21:14.
    Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

I think the original wheels were 16 x 7 and had an offset of 0, not -7.

PCD is 6 x 139.7 or they round down to 6 x 139.

Tyres are 265/70-16

I wouldn't worry about the -7, unless you are going with bigger tyres. Try looking for "16 6x139 6x139.7" on ebay and see how you go. Avoid the big negative offsets unless you like the sound of rubber grinding on plastic - the answer is a lift or grinding
      Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Thanks everyone

I am confused by the offset, I've never replaced wheel rims and have only bought regular road tyres for cars or vans, and so I have newbie 4x4 questions

I read on another thread that it was -7 offset, but then another website said something different, and without the originals I don't know how to measure the offset

if it is zero offset or 15, then that will make it much easier to find replacement wheel rims are there any pros and cons with 16x7 vs 16x8? I am guessing the less they stick out the better?

I was worried about the tyre sizes too - we don't plan to get large tyres at the moment, can't really afford to modify as yet (although the suspension might need upgrading if we decide to do any towing) So any tyres that fits the standard spec will be good

The current tyres are at the minimum tread on the MOT, and it does feel like driving around on bin lids plus not having a spare wheel is a concern, the wheels are the most urgent job

it has 265/60/18 tyres right now, the alloys don't look too out of place, it wasn't until I checked on here and whilst looking for new tyres that I realised they were not the standard size, so I'm not sure how practical they are.

Any brands recommended? or online shops - will keep an eye on ebay too sadly they don't sell wheel rims in roughtrax or I could pick some up locally
        Attached Files
        Last edited by gromit; 7 April 2017, 12:16.
        paw-by-four

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-lan...UAAOSwc-tY4CUG

These work out at about £33 a wheel including postage, obviously you dont want the tyres but as the wheels are off a Colorado and are 16" they should fit just fine and of course the bonus is there is 5 of them. All you need is to clean them up a bit then find some half decent rubber for them. 265/70/16. You,ll get a chunk back on your 19" ones when they go on ebay. , maybe even more that £ 33 a wheel
          Last edited by Bogus; 7 April 2017, 16:34. Reason: Added stuff
          Сви можемо

Comment

Thank you that's a great help - good idea to sell the 19" ones on ebay too, I guess someone might want to recondition them

Thanks for all the tips, I will have to save to get new tyres all round, but if these colorado wheel rims will fit then that is great news

I'm glad I joined the forum, I have been browsing the internet for ages
            paw-by-four

Comment

The Colorado wheels will definately fit and the standard surf offset is 15 I had a look at mine!

Comment

Originally posted by The Boo Crew View Post
                Standard gen3 wheels 16x7 et15
                Anyone know if these were the standard fitment on the narrow body 3rd gens (the ones with no plastic arch extensions)?
                https://galooph.com

Comment

They are fitted ti the wide body surfs and the narrow body 4runner.
                  http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...Picture077.jpg
                  narrow

wide
                  http://www.kidmoe.com/icestuck3.jpg
                  colorado wheels
                  Last edited by The Boo Crew; 9 April 2017, 19:42.

Comment

Thanks, Boo Crew
                    https://galooph.com

Comment

Hello well the ones off ebay arrived today

They said they were off a Colorado so I'm hoping they will fit......

They said they were 16", but I have just noticed it says 16 x 6 JJ 30 on the rim, so I'm a bit worried!! I thought they would be 16x7

There seems to be a few different Colorado models/wheel rims available, and I don't know if I have the right ones?

Some have three spoke, some have five spoke, but these wheel rims have six spokes and are 6" wide not 7"...eep!
                      paw-by-four

Comment

Im a bit surprised at that. I didnt think Colorados ever had 6" wheels as standard.
                        Сви можемо

Comment

I wonder if they were originally Colorado wheel rims.....I guess they won't fit or perhaps with taller/narrower tyres, rather than the 265/70/16,

The tyres are a big investment though would rather get the standard size
                          paw-by-four

Comment

The Colorado FX (narrow body)had 6" rims the VX and GX (wide body) had 7"
                            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-TOYOT...QAAOSwWxNYzRHd
                            FX narrow body
                            http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/images/ma...750_500_70.jpg
                            VX/GX wide body
                            http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/im...024&height=768
                            2000-2002 VX/GX

Hope that clarifies what you got or expected
                            Last edited by The Boo Crew; 12 April 2017, 00:42.

Comment

Thanks boo crew

these must have been from the narrow body FX Colorado, they look identical to those in your 1st link

I thought they would be 16x7 so I'm hoping they won't be too narrow or the offset incorrect.....

Unless there are wide or narrow bodied 3rd gens?

I was completely unaware of all the parameters until this last week
                              paw-by-four

Comment

Working...
                              X