Am I being ripped off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I being ripped off?

Could someone please tell me what the standard wheel and tyre size should be for a Toyota Surf 1992 LN130? The size that I have fitted now is 265/70/R16 “Work” split rims, which I believe are 8” in width.

The reason I am asking is that my insurance company has insisted on me sending them a number of photos of the vehicle. From these photos they have decided that the wheels are not standard and they require a further payment! They have also spotted two short silicone hoses on the cooling system! The total amount that they require for these two “modifications" is £57. They even questioned the seat covers- thinking- I assume that they were different seats!

Thank you, in advance,
    Ian

Have a look here which unfortunately confirms that your tyres are not the original factory fit spec. also the truck did not come with split rims from the factory.

Comment

Am I being ripped off?

Thanks very much for the quick reply- so it looks like the wheels are non-standard. The extra for the silicone hoses was a little frustrating though! The overall price for the insurance was ok, so I’ll stick with them this year- next year might be different!

Thanks,
      Ian

Comment

Originally posted by veemax View Post
        Could someone please tell me what the standard wheel and tyre size should be for a Toyota Surf 1992 LN130? The size that I have fitted now is 265/70/R16 “Work” split rims, which I believe are 8” in width.

The reason I am asking is that my insurance company has insisted on me sending them a number of photos of the vehicle. From these photos they have decided that the wheels are not standard and they require a further payment! They have also spotted two short silicone hoses on the cooling system! The total amount that they require for these two “modifications" is £57. They even questioned the seat covers- thinking- I assume that they were different seats!

Thank you, in advance,
        Ian
        The Tyre size you have is standard on a 3rd gen. Have you thought abaout changing the insurance company?
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

That's what I was going to say! change the insurance co, bl00dy rip off merchants, WTF difference does a silicon hose make? come to that what difference does non stock wheels make, I can understand a bigger /more powerfull engine or turning it into a monster truck making a difference, they are just caning it,
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Am I being ripped off?

That’s what I thought too- what difference do 2 silicone hoses make on the cooling system! I’d guess that aftermarket wheels would be a lot cheaper to replace than genuine Toyota wheels! You could say that the bigger wheels might be detrimental to safety, but that would be debatable!

They also asked for the following- it was a bit like jumping through hoops with flames!

The driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) allow licence holders to share their driving records by generating a check code at www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence. Alternatively, you can call 0300 083 0013.

Please send your check code to us along with a copy of both sides of your photo card.

If you have lost your photo card, please send screen shots of the three sections on the DVLA web page: your details, vehicles you can drive and penalties and disqualifications.

Proof of your no claims bonus must be in the form of a no claims bonus certificate, cancellation confirmation letter or a renewal notice. This must contain the policy number, expiry date, number of years no claims and the insurers name and logo.

We will also require six photographs of your vehicle which show the front, back, sides, interior and engine bay.

Thanks,
            Ian

Comment

So go on then who is the company in question? sound like one to avoid!
              Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

I know what I'd be telling them to do.
                You'd be amazed and astounded at what counts as a modification these days. apparently, just adding a couple of stickers to your vehicle is classed as a modification, it's crazy man. The stuff they try and get you on these days

Comment

I send Flux a two page document covering my modifications.

They were still cheaper than admiral who thought it was standard!
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Yup Adrian Flux gets my business still reasonable with 9 points. Or try Kieth Micheals they like modifieds that much they told me to at least change the wheels on the Cruiser to get a better quote!
                    Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Working...
                    X