Replacement VIN plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement VIN plate

At some point the VIN plate on my Surf has fallen off. I'm now told that this is probably going to be an MOT failure and I should get a new one. Anyone got any recommendations on a supplier? I found one place that will do an original looking one for about £40, but they want an additional £20 to stamp the numbers in!
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

No VIN Plate

Hi Mate

I lost and found my Vin Plate but forgot to reattach it before the MOT so they told me they couldn't do it. After seeking advice from another MOT station they told me that as long you have the V5 document with all the details of the vehicle on it they have no reason to refuse the test. Perhaps someone here can clarify?

Comment

This advice has come from my mate who is a recently qualified MOT tester, so I hope it's accurate.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

My surf went through 3 MOT's without a vin plate fitted and the only question asked on any of the three events was where to locate the chassis number.

It was put down as an advisory to have it replaced at all 3 test's

Comment

My VIN has been missing for a couple of years. I believe that this is a change to the test requirements.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
            My VIN has been missing for a couple of years. I believe that this is a change to the test requirements.
            I own the surf mentioned by Growler above and last june it passed its mot with no VIN, they did ring me up during the test and try to say they could'nt pass it but as long as the car is chassis stamped its not a failure, they accepted this after me explaining where the stamp was. did'nt even go down as a advisory for me.

FYI the chassis stamp is on the subframe behind the offside front wheel

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise
            Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

OK, thanks. But this doesn't answer my original question: Any recommendations for a supplier or a new VIN plate?
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/custom_vin_plates.html

Comment

Yup, they're the ones who want £60. Seemed a bit steep to me.
                  Paul </Slugsie>
                  Immortal.so far!

Comment

£60.00 aint bad mate if it gets you out of bother. Its not like you have to pay it every year.
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                    X