Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire extinguishers

Hi all,

Looking to get a fire extinguisher mounted in my truck, though I'm unsure of which one to go for.

There seems to be some discussion over the metis or otherwise of powder versions (mainly in the corrosive qualities of what they expel), and of the size required to adequately extinguish your average vehicle fire (some swear by nothing less than 10kg, others that nothing would get the job done when liquids start to take hold anyway).

There is the argument that so long as it gets you and your passengers out it's done its job, and the vehicle is in the hands of the insurance company.

The other option is Firestrykers, but while they last longer they seem to have a lot less reach.

What do other people run with?

Owen

Anyone?

Owen

Comment

I was warned off powder fire extinguishers for cars years ago as the movement of the vehicle tends to pack the powder into a solid mass and becomes un-useable, I would go for a CO2 type but of a good capacity so it lasts a good time, though if the fire happens on a windy day most extinguishers would be useless any way unless the fire is in the cab.

Comment

AFFF foam would work. CO2 requires you to be on top of the fire for it to be effective, powder does have a good knock down effect but does not cool the fire so there is a strong chance of re-ignition. As for powder compacting it has to be left standing undisturbed for a long time for this to happen. if you pick the extinguisher up and tip it upside down you should hear the powder go from one end to the other.

I have had a 2 kg powder in mine for the last 2 years and its still good.

Foam is good on oil fires and wood and paper, you could argue that its not suitable for electrical fire as it is water based but we are not talking about using it on 240volts. so it is safe to use on a car.

I hope this explains things a bit.
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Cheers guys. In the end I opted for a 1ltr E-series water mist extinguisher in the back, and a secondary 900g BC in the front.

The E-series is good for A, B, C, F and electrical fires, the blurb is below for those interested:

Water mist fire extinguishers present ground-breaking technology. The design of the water mist extinguishers' supersonic nozzle creates a microscopic mist curtain which reduces the oxygen content (that fuels fire) around the fire, extinguishes the flames and creates a highly effective cooling blanket on the hot fuel, preventing re-ignition.

Water Mist fire extinguishers are the first water extinguishers to have an 'F' rating (deep fat fryer fires etc). These units are therefore ideal for small kitchens, small boats, garages and areas where a messy discharge would be a problem. The extinguishers have also passed the 35kV di-electrical test and contain de-ionised water (which will not conduct electricity, even in a puddle), making them safe to use on live electrical equipment.

Perfect for boats, caravans and kitchens
          - Non-harmful and non-poisonous to humans and furniture etc.
          - Extinguisher Rating 5F
          - Can be used on class A, B, C, F type fires and live electrical equipment
          - No residue after discharge
          - 100% environmentally friendly
          - Safe on live electrical equipment of up to 1000V: 35kV Di-electrical tested and using non-conductive de-ionised water
          - CE marked and LPCB Certified
          - Supplied complete with wall mounting bracket
          - 5 Year Warranty
          - Made in the UK

Owen

Comment

Working...
          X