possible new sticky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible new sticky

After reading a gazillion posts on different forums about wheels and tyres and offsets I came across this site and thought it seems to answer a lot of questions
    http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php...et2=5#isPage=1

thought it might be a useful sticky?
    Old enough to know better but then again.....

Good idea, there can be some bad issues with messing about with non stock rims, I reversed my 3 parts rims some years back, it made them look great BUT created some issues, first was even with a 4" total lift for 33S the fronts caught the inner arch (some grinding and bashing sorted that,

Second it threw out the camber/castor effing up a pair of BFG's (couldn't find a decent tyre place who would do it at the time ) I eventually did it my self with an idea from an American guy who posted a "driveway self alignment" write up, didn't stick entirely to his method or string and tape measures but I got it good enough, (probably better than a shop) it's been done now for over 5-6 years and still fine,

The other thing that happened was due to the rims centre line being shoved outwards by reversing the rims, this meant than the wheel will no longer swivel on it's stock centre line, instead the wheels will need to rotate slightly in order for them to be steered, this means that if you brake while turning they lock, basic dynamics I believe but the young mot guy could not grasp this, he let it pass after I explained why it was happening and pointed out that it is not a problem as if one ever need to brake when turning your gonna stop anyway,
    Its never been a problem for me in all the subsequent years of driving it and never again mentioned in an mot,

Sorry about the lengths of this but it shows some of the problems messing with aftermarket rims can kick up, not insurmountable but it can create a load of work and extra expense (if you get a shop to fine tune the tracking /cambe/castor etc
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Working...
    X