Coolant in all surfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant in all surfs

Hi, my SSRG 3Ltr over heated and buggered up the head, I found out that all surfs have a potentual to crack the head after over heating.
    the coolant we all sould use is the red undiluted (NEAT) no water in it. if you use the normal blue coolant you get problems and the water rusts up the rad.

Well all vehicles have the potential to crack heads by overheating, Surfs are no better or worse that any other motor, there was I believe an engineering problem with some of the early 2.4's (an exhaust and water jacket too close together) but I believe Toyota remedied this,) the main problem is owners! lack of servicing etc, When I got my 2.4 about 11 years ago I gave it a good flush (didn't know about this site then btw) and the gunge (red) that came out was unbelievable, I actually gave it a couple of good flushes and used some Slick 50 cleaner both times plus a jet washer to reverse flush all the little hoses and heater
    I have been using green anti-freeze from the start, (as I managed to get it from the bus/coach builder I worked for then) I figured if it's good enough for 100% duty big diesels it's good enough for a Surf, I dilute it with distilled water and in all the years I've had no rust or clogging probs,
    good luck with the head
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

And, of all the multitude of things you can do to ensure good cooling, possibly the most important and maybe easiest to overlook, is making sure your viscous fan works well and that it actually has enough silicone oil in it to make it work well
      Сви можемо

Comment

Hi, I always service my surf and check the oils and coolant, every week and before a long trip, this time I only did 20 miles at 30mph, first symtom was the air con stopped, then a few mins latter the temp gauge went high, within 2mins engine power went down so much I stuggled to do 30 mph, as I was in the middle of nowhere I had to keep going but at 20 mph, the temp gauge was going up and down, I was only 4 miles from a service station, I topped up the rad and got home ok, the enginge seemed fine untill the next morning, I tryed the start in but I had a hydrostatic lock in one cylinder, bought a new head from Rough trax and fitted it, every thing was fine for 200 miles then I started it and what sounded like a bag of bolts in the cylinders, I think it is the crank timing gear bolts have sheared and gone through the gears. I took it to a TOYOTA SPECAILIST IN Newport, who did not beleave me, (who am I to tell them there job)they did some things to it and then charged me £750, it still is not right and they did not do what I asked, when I picked it up the tickover was very high this masked the miss firing and lumpy tick over, they did check compression changed the injectors, check the head i installed, kept blaming me for the problem, but as I kept saying I did not do any thing to the timming gears...... loads of power and is ok at higher speeds. looking at the forums other people have had these bolts sheer off on these engines, so it was a known fault from Toyota. at the moment I am left with a still sick engine.

Comment

In 16+ years of Surfs, I've always used Toyota RED (undiluted) never had any head problem (touching wood) on all my 3 Surfs.
          Over all these years, all had cambelt's changed including new Waterpump, Belts, idler n Tensioner & check the Viscous fan n top up or refill as needed.
          As the water was drained before this process started, Radiator was checked over in case of replacement was needed, (not in any 3 was it needed) so RED coolant was used to refill n "Burp" Job's a goon en ....
          FYI.
          This may not always the case ....
          Hope this is helpful

16+ Years of Surfs .. N faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So now only 1 ....
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

yep. toyota red.changed every year,back flushed,still on original head.

Comment

+1 for Toyota Red.

I've always used it in all my Toyotas (MR2, Celicas, Supras and Soarers)
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Working...
              X