yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Surf have to be 10 years old to import / register easily ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Surf have to be 10 years old to import / register easily ?

Hello.
    Does anyone know the Rules applied by DVLA for registering a directly imported ( from Japan ) SUrf ?

I have an idea in my head that they have to be at least ten years old - but is that the case ? Seems an odd rule, if so, to encourage older cars to be imported.

Originally posted by jonathan blane View Post
    Hello.
    Does anyone know the Rules applied by DVLA for registering a directly imported ( from Japan ) SUrf ?

I have an idea in my head that they have to be at least ten years old - but is that the case ? Seems an odd rule, if so, to encourage older cars to be imported.
    I believe if the vehicle is less than 10 years old you have to get the DVLA's approval that it meets safety and environmental regulations, without the approval u cannot register it

If it's older than 10 years then this does not have to be done

I might be wrong thou hahahaha
    Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Have a look her

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

But does anyone have experience of registering a recently manufactured SURF ?

Can anyone explain the point of the regulation ?

I would have thought that if it's all about safety the older the car the more you would expect it to have to pass some kind of test ( apart from the MOT ).

But exempting older vehicles seems the other way round .

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan blane View Post
          But does anyone have experience of registering a recently manufactured SURF ?

Can anyone explain the point of the regulation ?

I would have thought that if it's all about safety the older the car the more you would expect it to have to pass some kind of test ( apart from the MOT ).

But exempting older vehicles seems the other way round .
          I have no experience

Comment

From memory you need to SVA or IVA on newer vehicles...

This is much more of a ball ache than an MOT...

it pretty much crippled the import business, which I was part of when it came out, which is why most companies now will ONLY import vehicles over 10 years old.
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
              which is why most companies now will ONLY import vehicles over 10 years old.
              All a money making scheme and to support domestic car sales if people knew they could import a 2010 camero cheaper than they could buy a Audi A6 then they probably would

someone had to devise a plan to slow down freedom of choice

Comment

SO what would be the current rules on importing this one ?

http://www.japanesevehicles.com/vehi...186656&lang=en

I am trying to resist but am getting a strong urge to buy the above .........

i love my current SURF, which is a P reg, imported six years ago.

My main reason for even contemplating buying a 'new' 10 yr old model is that I have zero mechanical knowledge, and am terrified of breaking down anywhere, but especially on the new improved death trap motorway sections without hard shoulders.

So I am just assuming ( perhaps this is naivety ?? ) that a 10 yr old SUrf is less likely, in principle, to break down than a 20 yr old one ? On the other hand I don't want one so new that it has computer bits in it.

I would welcome comments on the reliability issue, and especially any hard knowledge available as to what the current rules are for importing a 10 yr old Surf ? Is it just speedo conversion, rear fog, and MOT ? Or more complicated ?

Please don't refer me to the DVLA pages - I have tried but failed to find answers to these questions there.

Comment

you dont have to do the speedo its a convenience thing!
                  Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Toyota dealers seem to have latched on to supplying parts for imports I have had no problems for the last few years
                    Old enough to know better but then again.....

Comment

Working...
                    X