Hilux Gen 2 or Gen 3 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux Gen 2 or Gen 3 ?

I know this has been kind of covered in other threads but i have a slightly different slant on this question... I have the opportunity to buy a 1992 Surf - without an engine.

Why would I? I live in Malta where vehicles are over priced and availability is low. Also 4x4's are very popular (i think because the roads are so bad!).

So i really don't know wether to buy this (pre registered) chassis and choose a lump for it, or just import a Gen 3 ... both options have their pros and cons.

But the main question; Is the Gen 2 chassis a good one, or should i go for a Gen 3 (or even spend out on an 4)?

I want to customize it, with a lift, big wheels, custom paint, roof rack -- You know - go silly :o) But i don't know if spending this money on a Gen 2 is such a good idea? Is it just too old now (no offense!)?

Usage would be dragging the family across Italy, Slovenia going into the wild - in some comfort.. (iPads in the head rests! & Mi-Fi installed!) exploring, camping and airbnb stays... and then also some solo fly fishing trips - sleeping onboard!

What to do! ??

Thanks in advance !

Hi n welcome
    If it were me, I'd be weighing up the costs (time money etc)
    First in fixing up a Truck that has no engine (Ya don't say but presume from that year it's a 2.4 + all ya Mods ya want done too......
    Second against a 3rd Gen purchase cost + import ....
    Have ya considered a trip to Blighty n taking either a 3.0L late 2nd gen or 3rd gen back with ya ....
    Biased view from me ..... a late 3.0L 2nd Gen for me with some Mods already done
    Good Luck with making your decision

15+ Years of Surfs .. n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ..
    Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 2 August 2016, 17:58.
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Thanks Diezel,

I think is was a good engine that came out, probably one of the KZ 3.0l...
      I haven't looked the vehicle yet... without an engine to go in it, there doesn't seem much point. :o(

I have a mechanic that will do it all, so the labour isn't an issue... but yes the end result is the important thing! What would be a 'favourite' engine option for a gen 2?

Comment

Working...
      X