2.4 or 3.0 litre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 or 3.0 litre

I'm thinking about buying a surf. I was told recently that the thing to look out for with the 2.4 is clear coolant to avoid problems with the cylinder head cracking, but also that the 3.0 can crack around the injectors.Is this correct?Any info would be helpful. I will sometimes need to tow two ponies in a trailer, will a 2.4 handle this or should i go for a 3.0? Its just that i have seen a really smart 2.4 thats in my price range.
    Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Robo
    I'm thinking about buying a surf. I was told recently that the thing to look out for with the 2.4 is clear coolant to avoid problems with the cylinder head cracking, but also that the 3.0 can crack around the injectors.Is this correct?Any info would be helpful. I will sometimes need to tow two ponies in a trailer, will a 2.4 handle this or should i go for a 3.0? Its just that i have seen a really smart 2.4 thats in my price range.
    Thanks for any help.
    Once again you'll find that the search facility will cover most of what you've asked.
    2.4 cylinder head has been discussed at great length in many, many other threads.
    3.0 cracking around the injectors? Now that is a new one on me, never heard of that before.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

had this dilemma myself

Hi,
      I've had this dilemma myself. You will see I posted a thread asking 2.4 or 3.0 and got many varied replies.
      I now own a lovely 2.4 that is in good nick and does what I need it to, even though most people told me to buy a 3.0.
      Some people will only say a 3.0, and some will defend the 2.4.
      I dont think there is a correct definitive answer for you. I came to the conclusion that I had to make my own mind up, and just "go for it".
      Buying within your budget is important as you may have to spend a little on it to get it up together. IT may be better to have an uptogether reliable 2.4 than a heap of a 3.0.
      Try to get one that has been UK run for a year or so - the likely hood is that owner will have mopped up any initial problems.
      Yes watch the head issue on the 2.4, but at worst that is £1200 - so if you have bought within your budget - you may even be able to cope with the worst case scenario.
      There is a site: www.showmesome.info/hilux/ that gives you a buyers guide. I found it very useful.
      Hope this helps.
      .......because I can....OK!
      2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Comment

http://www.yotasurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8327

I just bought mine.... 2.4 or 3.0
        its great....

My biggest problem is not being technical...

and when i was looking i got the old heart over head problem....
        I seen a few... most were dodgy...

so i compiled this list to keep from straying.... hope its helpful

Comment

Own a 2.4, been through the pain of the head change, got lied to about coolant being flushed and replaced, learnt a few lessons. Tow an Ifor Williams with 2 horses around the hills and lanes of Cornwall, no problems, there is enough torque there to pull trees out and it doesn't get too hot if you don't pull up Everest. If you need to fit a towbar go to

http://www.towbarwarehouse.co.uk/tow...a&EPack=Single

I fitted myself, not a petrol head and only took a couple of hours. Also fitted Central locking for £10 as mine was so basic it didn't come with.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X