Diesel cleaner/fuel filter change order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel cleaner/fuel filter change order

I guess the best order to do things is shove the diesel cleaner in and let the old filter get all the crud and -then- replace the fuel filter?

Sorry if it seems like a stupidly easy question, it's the first car I've had where I can actually get in and -do- stuff like this easily without being flat stanley.

Is there a specific reason or problem you're trying to fix or is this just a maintenance thing / piece of mind?

I've read of some people fill the new filter up with cleaner (or brake fluid I think it was) and then putting it back together so that there's almost pure cleaner going through the injectors. Someone who knows more would comment though.

When I've used the Diesel cleaner I've just put half or whole bottle in the fuel tank.
    If you're going to do one then the other, I'd put the cleaner in the tank first then change the filter later so if there was anything picked up, you remove it and put a clean filter on
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

It's Auto transmission fluid not brake fluid as I remember but yes I would treat the system before changing the filter, especially if it's the first time you have done it, (you never know when the last owner did it), ATF is a very good cleaner, stick a pint in a full tank now and then, that'll keep things nice and clean
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Yeah, I just bought the beast (no one replied to my hello post ), so I'm pretty much doing all fluids and filters changed so that I can keep track of stuff. My last car wasn't as old, and I know these ones need to be kept on top of to get the best out of them. The only thing I'm confident of is the timing belt because the garage that did it put a sticker on inside

Pretty much what I figured about the filter/cleaner order, just wanted to double check in case there was some insider information I had missed (like the ATF)! I got some Archoil AR6400-D, I've read it is pretty good for cleaning out even the injectors and stuff. I've got a problem with the fuel system somewhere at the moment (primer loses pressure over night and never fully stiffens when I pump it, ooer), I'm hoping it's just an improperly fitted fuel filter as someone else on the forums had, if not I might need to get a primer system from somewhere. But I'm working on the 'least expensive first' motto for troubleshooting

Comment

Sorry I missed ya first post, Hi n welcome by the way
          I've never used injector cleaner, always used ATF as I'm a Veg burner ....
          When servicing my Truck I always fill my Fuel filter with ATF n put a spare fuel
          filter in the Truck (just in case) along with a litre of ATF ....
          FYI.. there is a thread on the Forum about those of us using Veg Oil
          it's here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55767
          Happy Trucking

15+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !! So I got another ....
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Hah yeah, that's down the line a bit at the moment Read most of the W/VO threads on here I think.

Comment

Working...
            X