Thinking of purchasing one of those smiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of purchasing one of those smiles

Hi all, just found your great site while researching surfs. Loads of great imformation. The site convinced me to go for a surf.
    I was wondering what are the main differences between the newer and older models .i.e. is it worth shelling out the money for a 96 SSR-X over a 92 2.4L?
    The grin is beginning to show and I haven’t got mine yet.
    Great Site

Ayup!

I actually owned my first Surf a couple of years back ('90 2.4TD SSR Ltd) and was tempted away for a while by a lil' sporty number. As you can see I'm back in the Surf and am lovin' it - you won't make a better choice

I now run a '93 SSR-V 3.0TD and this seems a huge improvement over my 2.4, so I can only guess that plumping for a Gen3 (have I got that right guys?) can only be better still.

Although, I do like the most recent versions - if you fancy popping over to Japan, buying one & shipping it back - they're kinda ShogunSport style (excuse my French!).

Just shop around & get a good un.
    NorthWestDirt
    [aka Paul]

Comment

Originally posted by dloughnan
      Hi all, just found your great site while researching surfs. Loads of great imformation. The site convinced me to go for a surf.
      I was wondering what are the main differences between the newer and older models .i.e. is it worth shelling out the money for a 96 SSR-X over a 92 2.4L?
      The grin is beginning to show and I haven’t got mine yet.
      Great Site
      The '96 versus the '92, they physically quite different beasts. Yet the driving experience and capabilities are broadly similar, the change from 2nd to 3rd Gen was a clear evolution, rather than the total replacement favored by most manufacturers when updating models today. They both drive and feel very similar, if you enjoy one I'm certain you'll find the other almost the same. Having had both 2.4TD 2nd Gen and 3.0TD 3rd Gen I can honstly say there is not a hugh difference between them, whilst I personally do prefer my current 3rd Gen, in all honesty I could be just as happy with another 2nd Gen, either way they are a terrific machine.

Drivingwise the later (3rd Gen) will be smoother and more powerfull, the handling and driving feel whilst better is not neccessarily a hugh leap over the 2nd Gen which is excellent already anyway. The power difference between the 3.0 & the 2.4 is great to have tho, the 3.0 was available in both 2nd & 3rd Gen models.
      Whilst the 2nd Gen is built on a slightly modified Hilux Pickup chassis, the 3rd sits on a Landcruiser Prado Chassis. The 2nd Gen shares some body panels with the pick-up whilst the 3rd gen does not share any panels with any other models,
      Main changes that come to mind with the introduction of the 3rd Gen are...
      Coil sprung front suspension
      Lift-up tailgate
      Rack & pinion steering
      16" Alloys (Some US 4runners still had 15", think all 3rd Gen Surfs changed to 16")
      Twin Airbags
      Standard ABS
      Conventional handbrake (Bah, I prefered the dash mounted one in the 2nd Gen)
      Full/Part time multi-mode 4wd system (2nd Gen is part-time only)
      Larger body, cargo area about 2" wider, 4" longer, more rear legroom
      Climate control (questionable improvement from normal Air-con)
      Last edited by Morr; 23 September 2004, 08:40.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
      X